Due to the run-of-the-mill life, unhealthy eating habits, and disrupted lifestyle, we often cannot pay attention to our health and food items due to which many diseases start arising in the body. In this changing environment, almost all people complain of constipation and gas due to which acidity, heaviness in the stomach, headache and several other problems arise. Improper digestion leads to difficulty in defecation and leads to problems like constipation. In today's era, constipation is a problem, which is the root of almost every disease. Sometimes this problem becomes so complicated that it starts proving fatal.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is a problem related to the digestive system in which there is more difficulty while passing stool. Constipation is the condition when the stool does not come out easily from the anus (anal tract). Due to constipation, the stool becomes hard and thick. As a result, there is also pain in the stomach and anus (anal passage) while passing stool.
Symptoms of Constipation
Many people may have one or more symptoms of constipation which are as follows-
- Frequent defecation.
- Hard and thick stools.
- Pushing harder while passing stool.
- Sitting in the toilet for a long time.
- The stomach is not clear even after defecation.
- Feeling of heaviness in the stomach.
- Abdominal cramps or pain.
- Blisters in the mouth.
- Feeling upset.
- Acne and pimples on the skin.
- Bad breath.
Causes to Constipation
There can be many reasons behind constipation. These reasons may vary from person to person but in some cases, these reasons can be common, while in other cases, it can also be a sign of a serious problem. The problem of constipation is mainly related to our lifestyle and diet. As mentioned in the beginning, constipation arises due to deficiencies in the body. Let's talk about these shortcomings -
Not consuming fibre rich food-
Fibre is found in sufficient quantities in fruits, vegetables and grains. There are mainly two types of fibre- soluble and insoluble. Both these types of fibre are good for the stomach. Soluble fibre combined with water enhances digestion while the insoluble fibre softens the stool and helps it to pass easily. Thus, fibre plays an important role in keeping bowel movements normal.
Consuming fewer fluids-
Fibre requires water and other fluids to function optimally. For this, a sufficient amount of water should be drunk. Apart from this, sweet fruits, vegetable juices and soups etc. should also be consumed.
Many times the problem of constipation starts due to infection in the intestines. This problem occurring in the intestines is called gastroenteritis. This disease occurs due to reasons like viruses, bacteria, and food poisoning.
Inflammatory bowel disease-
Inflammatory bowel disease occurs when there is chronic inflammation in the digestive tract due to which there can be a problem of diarrhoea along with constipation.
The problem of constipation is also seen in most pregnant women because during pregnancy the level of progesterone hormone is high and the level of Motilin hormone decreases. As a result, the time taken for stool passing from the stomach to the anus, increases (bowel transit time). Apart from this, the problem related to constipation in pregnant women is also due to excess iron consumption.
Hypothyroidism is also a major cause of constipation. It is responsible for hormone imbalance in the body. Which can cause constipation.
Other causes of constipation are-
- On consuming more alcohol.
- Being allergic to foods.
- On consuming heavy food.
- Not having food at the right time.
- Consuming too much oil and chilli spices.
- Overuse of aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Lack of physical labour
- Taking more health supplements medicines.
- stress, depression, or anxiety.
- Stop defecation.
- Not getting enough sleep
Types of constipation
There are mainly three types of constipation. Let's talk about these types-
Normal Transit Constipation-
Normal transit constipation is commonly known as normal constipation. People suffering from this feel difficulty while passing stool but he passes bowel movements as usual.
Slow Transit Constipation-
Slow transit constipation is caused by a disorder in the large intestine in which the nerves of the enteric nervous system (ENS) have an important role. These nerves carry defecation from the large intestine to the anus but when an abnormality occurs in this nerve, the person suffers from slow transit constipation.
People who complain of chronic constipation are suffering from defecation disorder. The main reason for this is the dysfunction of the anal organs and their deterioration among themselves.
In case of constipation, pay attention to the following things
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Eat more fibre-rich foods such as legumes and whole grains.
- Drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Reduce the consumption of tea, coffee, smoking etc.
- Do not exert too much force while passing bowel movements.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Avoid consumption of fried and junk food.
- Chew the food and eat it.
- Do not drink water while eating.
- Walk and exercise regularly in the morning.
Home remedies for Constipation
- Citric acid found in lemon reduces bacterial infection that causes constipation and gas problems. For this, drink a glass of lukewarm water mixed with lemon juice.
- Drinking coconut water is a good option in the problem of constipation as it has antioxidant and gastroprotective activities.
- Drinking lukewarm water also provides relief in stomach pain due to indigestion along with boosting digestion.
- By making powder of fennel and consuming it with lukewarm water, stomach related disorders are removed.
- Mix equal amounts of carom seeds, cumin seeds and black salt and fry them on a Tava (griddle). Now make a powder by making this mixture and take half a teaspoon daily with lukewarm water. By doing this, constipation and gas related problems get relief.
- In Ayurveda, buttermilk acts as a medicine in the treatment of constipation.
- The initial phase of constipation can be cured only by changing the diet.
- In Ayurveda, it is advised to drink rice and moong dal water for constipation and loss of appetite.
- Consumption of bael fruit is very beneficial for constipation and stomach problems. Apart from this, drinking bael syrup is also beneficial in constipation.
- Use fibre and protein-rich things in the diet, such as green vegetables, pulses, soybeans, fenugreek, flaxseeds, etc.
- At the time of constipation, pus on the anus, the problem of stool, etc., do not take fried-roasted, hot chilli-spices and flour etc.
- Avoid consumption of vegetables containing seeds.
- Take one spoon of Triphala powder with lukewarm water every night at bedtime. It provides relief in problems like constipation.
- It is beneficial to take small myrobalan by infusing it in ghee, making a powder of it and taking it with water.
- Taking honey with lukewarm water provides relief in the problem of constipation.
- Apart from this, oats, corn flakes, herbal tea etc. can be consumed with honey.