Posted 28 February, 2023
Glycerin: Is It Good For Your Skin And Face?
Glycerin is a natural element derived from vegetable oils or animal fats. It is a clear, colorless liquid with a sweet taste. It is also known as glycerol (a humectant and moisturizing agent) that draws water from the deeper levels of the skin to the outer layer of the skin. This is why glycerin is almost always added to cosmetic products with another substance known as an occlusive, which traps the moisture drawn to the skin.
It is one of the most commonly used ingredients in cosmetic products, after water and fragrance. It is a key ingredient in moisturizers and lotions. In recent times, the use of glycerin in its pure form has gained immense popularity, but you should be aware of its proper use.
How Good is Glycerin for Your Skin?
Glycerin is extremely beneficial for the skin as it acts as a humectant, allowing the skin to retain moisture, increase hydration, relieve dryness, and rejuvenate the skin's surface from deep within. It is also an emollient that softens the skin and is useful for removing rough or dry patches caused by psoriasis or eczema. In addition, the antimicrobial properties of glycerin protect the skin from harmful pathogens. It also helps to restore, repair and speed up the wound healing process.
Skin Healing Benefits
- Glycerin soothes and calms irritated skin and is gentle on sensitive skin, helping to soothe skin problems.
- Regular use of glycerin can tighten the skin, making your skin look supple and plump.
- It acts as a barrier between the skin and environmental pollutants and toxins that can damage the skin.
- The natural moisturizing and rejuvenating properties of glycerin leave skin smooth, radiant, supple and luminous.
- Glycerin acts as a non-comedogenic which helps open pores and fights acne.
- Glycerin helps to delay the signs of premature aging and fade away fine lines and wrinkles.
- It can also work wonders for every skin type and can help uplift the skin's beauty and radiance from the inside out.
How to Use Glycerin?
Using glycerin alone can moisturize and exfoliate the skin, while beauty experts believe that glycerin when mixed with other ingredients can help brighten the skin.
Combining glycerin with other natural ingredients such as lemon and rose water can help revamp dry, dull skin and soften the skin for easier exfoliation.
Rose water acts as an astringent, which not only cleanses the skin but also tightens the pores and makes the skin look firm and toned. The acidic nature of lemon juice helps improve discoloration and uneven pigmentation.
Make a Natural Serum
Try making your own serum by following the given steps-
- Add 5 drops of pure glycerin with the juice of one lemon and 4 tablespoons of rose water.
- Mix well and pour the mixture into a small spray bottle.
- Apply the serum to your face regularly or apply it as a mist after makeup for a healthy glow.
- Store serum in the refrigerator.
Always use pure plant-based glycerin for all your beauty care needs.
Is glycerin safe to use on skin?
Yes, glycerin is generally safe to use on the skin, and most people have no problem using cosmetic products containing it. However, there is always a risk of irritation, especially if you’re allergic to it. Therefore, before using cosmetics containing glycerin for the first time, do a patch test. Apply a little amount of glycerin to a small area of skin, wait for 24 hours, and then observe the reaction.
If you are sensitive to glycerin, signs of a reaction may include-
- Redness of the skin.