Yellow fungus is a dangerous fungal infection, also known as 'mucor septic' which affects the person's skin, eyes, respiratory system and peripheral nerves. It is a disease that spreads through air, water, soil and dirt. According to experts, yellow fungus is a disease found in reptiles and animals. Patients of this type of fungus are found very rarely. This fungus is usually seen among reptiles (lizard-like creatures). Whichever reptile gets this fungal infection, it makes wounds in the body and as a result, he dies but for the first time it is being seen in humans too and is proving to be deadlier than black and white fungus. While black fungus affects the brain, white fungus affects the lungs of people but yellow fungus is more dangerous than both these types of fungus.
Let us know about the identification factors, symptoms and possible treatment of this disease through the lines of this blog.
What is Yellow fungus and How does it Spread?
There are many types of fungi present in the surrounding environment which are like microbes. These fungi grow continuously in places like air, water, soil etc. due to the effect on the environment. It also lives in the human body without providing any harm to the body for eg. mushrooms, mould, mildew, etc. Apart from this, some fungi are also harmful to the body when these harmful fungi attack the body, it is difficult to eliminate them because they are able to survive in any kind of environment. As a result, the body's immune system starts weakening to fight them due to which the person becomes infected with fungal infection. Black fungus, white and yellow fungus are also examples of this.
Yellow fungus normally develops from the presence of a fungus present in the environment. Humidity levels below 30-40% promote the growth of this fungus. This leads to several problems like excessive fatigue, rashes, skin irritation etc.
How does fungus reach the human body?
Yellow fungus usually enters the human body through inhalation or intake of food. Though the hair present in the nose does the job of blocking it, if the fungus stays inside the nostrils then it starts itching and gradually reaches the inner parts of the nose while growing continuously. The nasal cilia present there try to get it out because of which sneezing occurs. Sneezing is also a part of our immune system. If still some spores remain then water starts coming from the nose with the help of which it comes out. The body works in this way when the body's immune system is working properly but if the immune system is poor, the body is unable to flush out the spores of the fungus. In such a situation, the spores reach the body and start growing.
Symptoms of Yellow Fungus
According to experts, the symptoms of yellow fungus are different from both black and white fungal infections. This disease starts from the internal parts of the body and is usually formed due to the leakage of pus in the body which is different from the above two fungal infections but as it develops inside the body, it takes a deadly form. After getting affected by this infection, the wound heals very slowly. During this, the patient's eyes get sunken and many organs stop functioning. Even the immune system gets damaged. Apart from this, other symptoms are seen in the human body which are-
- Nasal congestion.
- Pain in the eyes.
- Numbness of body parts.
- Loss of appetite.
- Feeling lethargic or tired.
- Feeling of pain or breakdown in the body.
- Extreme weakness in the body.
- Heart rate increases.
- The body looks malnourished.
- Rapid weight loss.
- Blurred vision.
Why does the Yellow fungus occur?
The biggest reason for getting any type of fungus is not maintaining hygiene. So keep yourself and your surroundings clean and tidy. According to doctors, the main cause of yellow fungus is excess dirt around us, that is why it is important to pay special attention to cleanliness around the house to prevent the growth of bacteria or fungus.
Yellow fungus test
To detect yellow fungus (Mucor septic), doctors consult a physical examination of the body. Apart from this, samples are taken from the nose and throat and tested. This infection can also be detected by doing a tissue biopsy from the infected site. X-ray, CT scan and MRI can also be done if needed through which it can be found out which parts of the body are infected.
Who is at a greater risk for Yellow fungus?
This fungal infection can happen to people of any age but people who are suffering from some serious disease or taking strong doses of medicines are more prone to it as it weakens their immunity. These diseases are-
- Organ transplant of a person like kidneys, liver, heart attack etc.
- Decrease in the number of white blood cells.
- Long-term steroid use.
- HIV or AIDS.
- Nutritional deficiency.
- Kidney patients who are on dialysis.
- Those who had to stay in a ventilator or ICU for more than 3 days.
To avoid yellow fungus, keep these things in mind
Currently, after recovering from COVID, the consumption of steroids and other drugs is enabling bacteria or fungus to grow rapidly in the mouth and cause problems in the sinuses, lungs and even the brain. Therefore, it is extremely important for patients to maintain oral hygiene after recovering from COVID-19 to protect themselves from the effects of the disease. According to doctors, the following are some measures to prevent yellow fungus infection-
- Brush two to three times a day.
- Get in the habit of rinsing to maintain oral hygiene.
- Clean the toothbrush and tongue cleaner with an antiseptic mouthwash.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Eat fresh fruits and green vegetables to keep the immune system strong.
- Include nutrient-rich foods in your diet regularly.
- Keep the house and surroundings clean.
- Take special care of the hygiene of those with weak immunity.
- Do not allow moisture in the house as the fungus thrives more in damp places.
- Do not eat spoiled or stale food.
- Do not cover your mouth and nose with a wet mask or handkerchief.
- Keep the windows and doors of the houses open.
- Do exercise and yoga regularly.
What to do after getting yellow fungus?
- Those who are diabetic should keep a check on their sugar level as the sugar level should not be high during this time.
- Use steroids or antibiotics and antifungal drugs only after consulting a doctor.
- According to AIIMS, after showing symptoms of Yellow Fungus/Mucor Septic, immediately consult an ENT doctor, ophthalmologist or the doctor treating the patient.
- Get regular treatment and keep consulting the doctor from time to time.