Fungal infections are a type of skin disease which can occur easily on any part of the body such as between the fingers, on the head, hands, hair, mouth, or in the body's genitals. The main reason for this, is coming in contact with an infected object or infected person. When fungus invades any area of the body, symptoms of red spots, shingles, skin lesions and itching start appearing in the area within a short time.
What is Fungal Infection and how do they spread?
Many types of fungus exist in the surrounding environment. These are like microbes and grow at places like air, water, soil etc. and grow continuously due to environmental effects. At the same time, fungi also live in the human body which remain there without causing any harm to the body. Mushrooms, mold, mildew etc. are examples of this.
Apart from this, some fungus is also harmful to the body. When these harmful fungus attacks the body, it is difficult to eliminate them because they are able to survive in every kind of environment. As a result, the body's immune system begins to weaken in fighting them due to which the person becomes infected with fungal infection.
Types of Fungal Infections and their Symptoms
Fungal infections are mainly identified with signs such as red spots, cracks, rashes, formation of scab in the skin, scalding or white colored powder start coming out from the affected part. Apart from this, there are some other symptoms which are based on the type of fungal infection.
Let's talk about the types of fungal infections and their symptoms-
It is an infection of the feet which is between the toes. These fungi thrive in hot and moist environments. For this reason, they are usually found in summer and places with moist climates. Apart from this, athlete's fungal infection can also be seen in the feet of people wearing shoes.
Let's talk about their symptoms-
- Reddening or peeling of the skin.
- Itching and burning on the skin.
- Ulcers on the soles of the feet.
- Wound healing and frequent blood leakage.
- Flow of pus-like fluid from the affected limb.
Nail Fungal Infections
This type of fungal infection is seen in the nails which is known as onychomycosis. This infection can occur in the fingernails of the hands as well as the feet.
Symptoms of Nail fungal infection
- Nail colour changes such as yellow, brown, or white.
- Thickening of the nail layer.
- Broken or cracked nails.
Fungal Skin Infection
Fungal skin infection is commonly referred to as a ringworm. This type of fungal is almost circular in shape. In this, the skin appears to be raised upwards in a red circle due to which it is also called ringworm. This type of fungal infection causes red and itchy rashes on the skin. This skin infection mostly occurs in the hands, feet, genitals and scalp. It is believed that there are about 40 such species of fungus, which are the cause of skin infection.
Symptoms of having a fungal skin infection
- Severe itching in the skin.
- Red and round rashes on the body.
- Crusted and cracked skin.
Hair fall etc.
It is caused by Candida albicans or candidiasis fungus. It is a type of infection found in the mouth, intestinal tract, and vagina. Candidiasis infection is seen mostly in women. When the number of Candida inside the vagina starts increasing, women suffer from it. Women suffering in this stage have to face many types of problems.
Symptoms of yeast Fungal Infection
- Itching or pain in the genitals.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Trouble or pain while urinating.
- Excessive vaginal bleeding.
Candida infection in mouth and throat
This infection is also caused by Candida fungus. When the number of Candida increases in the mouth and throat, humans suffer from this infection. Candida infection of the mouth and throat is also called thrush or oropharyngeal candidiasis. This problem is usually seen in people infected with AIDS or HIV. In this way, individuals suffering from fungal infections have to undergo more pain.
Symptoms of Candida infection in mouth and throat
- Sickness in the mouth.
- Rash and redness in corners of the mouth.
- Feeling of swelling in the mouth.
- Do not know the taste.
- Feeling of pain while eating or swallowing.
- Having white rashes in the internal parts of the mouth and throat.
Causes of Fungal Infection
- Coming in contact with people who already have fungal infections.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Excess of sweat in the body. For eg. when cycling or jogging for a long time.
- Weakening of the body's immune system.
- In case of diseases like cancer, diabetes, AIDS, HIV, etc.
- Long-term use of women's sanitary pads.
- Giving children nappy pads or wet clothes for longer periods of time.
- On being soaked in light drizzle during the monsoon and leaving the skin wet.
- When exposed to fungus-affected pets such as a cat, dog, goat, cow, horse, or pig.
- Overuse of antibiotics.
- Excessive use of contraceptive medicines.
Measures to Avoid Fungal Infection
- Avoid coming in contact with a person infected with a fungal infection.
- Keep skin clean & dry to avoid fungal infections.
- Use only cotton clothing for pores to breathe.
- Do not leave your hair wet during the rainy season.
- Drink a sufficient amount of water.
- Eat a nutritious diet like lentils, gram, milk, green vegetables and fruits and flowers. This helps to increase the immunity of the body.
- Do not consume potato, brinjal, lentil, red chilli, kachalu, meat and fish etc.
Home remedies for fungal infection
- Since fungal infections are caused by bacteria, using ingredients that have antibacterial properties helps to cure this condition. Such remedies are listed below-
- Fungal infections are cured by boiling neem leaves in water and taking bath and grinding neem leaves in cow's milk and applying it to the infected area. Apart from this, sleeping under a neem tree at night is very beneficial for a person suffering from a fungal infection.
- Regular consumption of Chaulmoogra oil with hot milk helps to cure fungal infection.
- Fungal infection is cured by applying equal quantities of neem and Chaulmoogra oil on the affected part.
- Applying camphor and kerosene oil to the affected parts provides relief in fungal infections.
- Mixing honey in turmeric powder and coating the affected part is beneficial in fungal infections and all other types of skin diseases.
- All kinds of fungal infections are destroyed by consuming two or three garlic buds daily.
- Taking honey daily with juice of henna leaves helps to purify the blood. It provides benefits in any type of fungal infection.
- All types of skin disorders are cured by consuming powder made from Champa's bark thrice a day.
- Boiling the leaves of peepal in water and washing the affected parts cures the fungal infection.
- In itching or fungal infection, squeezing fresh lemon juice in a cup of water daily and drinking it in the morning provides relief.
- Fungal infection is cured by grinding and making a paste of mint leaves and applying it to the affected areas.
- Taking equal quantities of Indian gooseberry(amla) and neem leaves with honey provides relief in this disease.
- Apple cider vinegar is a very old remedy for providing relief in itching. For this, drinking one spoon of apple cider vinegar, honey and lemon mixed in a glass of water is beneficial.