Mouth Ulcers: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Home Remedies
- Ayurveda Book
- 10 Mar, 2021
Mouth Ulcers are a common problem due to various reasons. These blisters can occur anywhere on the cheek, tongue, or the inner part of the lips. This creates a lot of trouble as we can neither eat properly nor speak.
Sometimes, worsening of the mouth ulcers can also lead to bleeding from these ulcers. These blisters appear white or red. The problem of mouth ulcers might not seem to be a great issue, but if it is not treated at the right time, it becomes a cause of mouth cancer.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers
- Blisters are formed due to the cuts on lips, cheeks, or tongue while speaking or eating.
- Eating or drinking extremely hot food also becomes a reason for the formation of a blister.
- Eating extremely spicy or oily food can also cause mouth ulcers.
- Injury to the mouth while using a toothbrush.
- Illnesses related to the digestive system or stomach.
- In women, blisters also occur due to change in hormones during menstruation.
- Some people are allergic to certain food items, which lead to mouth ulcers.
Precautions to avoid Mouth Ulcers
- Do not eat overly spiced food.
- Clean the mouth thoroughly at regular intervals.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to clean the teeth.
- Vitamin-C works to heal the wound quickly. Therefore, intake of vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables might help.
- Do not chew too much-chewing gum.
- Lack of vitamin-B in the body can also cause mouth ulcers. Therefore, eat more milk products like cheese, curd, butter.
- Drink plenty of water so that the body does not lack water.
- Take raw onion in the salad with food.
- Consume green tea in place of regular tea.
Home Remedies to Cure Mouth Ulcers
- Boil neem leaves and mix garlic juice in that water. Gargling with this mixture can cure mouth blisters.
- Turmeric paste is a good remedy for curing ulcers. Turmeric has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which heal the wound quickly.
- Blisters can also be cured by rinsing the mouth with Kadha made of acacia bark.
- Clove oil is also beneficial for curing mouth ulcers.
- Applying sodium borate with honey mixed into it cures blisters.
- Chew four to five leaves of jasmine and guava together. Spit the liquid that comes from it. Blisters will be cured by doing this continuously for a few days.
- Gargling with Kadha made of licorice can also cure mouth blisters.
- Chewing the basil leaves 2-3 times a day can help in healing the blisters quickly.
- Catechu is beneficial in curing blisters. Apply it to the guava leaves and chew them.
- Mixing honey in lemonade and rinsing with it also helps in providing relief to the ulcers.
- Boil one spoon of coriander powder in a cup or small bowl of water. After cooling, rinse the mouth with this water 2-3 times a day. The blisters will be cured, immediately.
- Gargling with the Kadha of Jamun also cures blisters quickly.
- Cardamom and honey paste is beneficial in curing ulcers. Apply the paste to the blisters 2-3 times a day.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet ensures a healthy body and also helps in avoiding mouth ulcers.
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods, and beverages to prevent mouth ulcers.
- Brush gently to avoid any injury to the mouth.
- Drinking plenty of water also helps in avoiding blisters in the mouth.
- Do more of what makes you happy to reduce stress.
- Take proper sleep.
When to See a Doctor?
- If ulcers start bleeding.
- When the wound starts worsening.
- If you are having trouble while eating, or drinking, due to ulcers, then you should go to the doctor immediately.