Naturopathy, also known as “Nature cure” is a type of Alternative treatment. In this, treatment methods are the five basic elements of nature. These are earth, sky, fire, water, and air. The purpose of the Naturopathy system is to eliminate the root cause of diseases. The therapy uses the abundantly available elements in nature.
Naturopathy is also described in ancient Vedas and texts i.e., in the Sankhya Philosophy (one of the six major philosophies of the ancient Indian tradition). Earlier, diseases were cured only with the help of Naturopathy. The key feature of Naturopathy is that it does not cause any harm or pain to the body. The therapy also provides the ability to fight against diseases by effectively using the Panch elements properly.
Basic Principles of Naturopathy
- The cause of all diseases and their treatment is the same. Except for the injuries and diseases related to environmental conditions, the cause of all diseases and their treatment is the same. Deposition of morbid matter in the body gives rise to diseases. Their removal from the body is known as the treatment.
- The basic cause of the disease is not microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, amoeba. These develop after the accumulation of foreign substances in the body. The body provides a favorable atmosphere for them to live and flourish. Therefore, the root cause of diseases is foreign matter, not bacteria. Bacteria is the secondary cause.
- Due to the body’s self-healing efforts, acute diseases are our friends and not our enemies. Chronic disease arises from the wrong treatment done to cure acute diseases.
- Nature itself is the greatest healer. The body has immense ability to protect itself from diseases. It also regains health in illnesses.
- In naturopathy, the patient is treated and not the disease.
- In naturopathy, it is possible to treat patients suffering from chronic diseases successfully and in a shorter duration.
- Naturopathy cures suppressed diseases in the body.
- In naturopathy, treatment of physical, mental, social (moral), and spiritual health is done
- Naturopathy treats the whole body instead of treating specific health conditions.
- Naturopathy is done without medicines. According to this, ‘food is medicine’.
Naturopathy can cure various diseases such as-
- Stomach diseases such as gastritis and constipation
- Paralysis (Hemiplegia)
- Mental illnesses such as anxiety neurosis
- Allergic Skin Diseases
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Facial Paralysis
- Chronic Non-Healing Ulcers
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Psycho-somatic disorders
- Cirrhosis of liver
Different methods of Naturopathy
Diet therapy (Food as Medicine)
According to Naturopathy, diet is the basic ‘medicine’. Therefore, one should take a well-balanced diet. Consumption of fresh seasonal fruits, fresh green leafy vegetables helps to stay fit. Consuming sprouted grains is also beneficial. To be healthy, the food should ideally be 20 percent acidic and 80 percent alkaline.
Fasting is also very important for ensuring good health. According to natural practitioners, fasting is a process of complete physical as well as mental rest. It provides rest to the digestive system.
Fasting is the best medicine for curing brain and body disorders. Because of this, the effects of diseases such as constipation, stomach gas, and digestive diseases are reduced. It also cures asthma, obesity, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
Mud therapy provides coolness to the body. This is a very simple as well as effective alternative medicine. The Mud used for this should be clean and obtained from about 3-4 feet below the ground. Mud removes the contaminants of the body and also provides relaxation by being outside the body.
The treatment method mainly comprises mud bandages and mud bathing procedures. Because of this, problems such as constipation, tension, headache are relieved. It also treats high blood pressure and skin diseases.
Hydrotherapy is a therapy that uses water for treatment. It uses cold and hot water or steam. It helps to relieve pain from the body and also maintain health.
Hydrotherapy treats rheumatic fever (bacterial infection of the throat), arthritis, and joint discomfort too. They normally do it in the Physiotherapy department of the hospital.
The importance of massage in modern days is the same as diet and exercise. Massage is rubbing oil, cream, or any other greasy substance with a light hand on the body. This treatment provides relaxation to the muscles as well as soft tissues of the body with hands.
Massaging relieves muscular pain and also improves blood circulation. Besides, massaging skin also reduces diseases related to the brain.
Satrangi (violet, blue, sky, green, yellow, orange, and red) rays from the sun have great significance in alternative medicine. Colors work effectively in various treatments and stay healthy. Sun therapy is very beneficial and also the easiest way of staying healthy.
In this medical system, we treat various diseases with oil, water, glycerin, sugar candy heated by sunlight for 45 to 60 days. The colors are added to the water. It is then heated in the sun, which cures diseases. This treatment also boosts blood circulation. Sunlight produces Vitamin D in the body. It is beneficial in curing diseases such as paralysis, arthritis, TB, and asthma. It also helps to cure skin diseases.
Air bath helps in achieving the maximum benefits from Air therapy. Fresh air is very important for good health. It helps at multiple levels. Every person should take an air bath for at least 20 minutes, every day.
In air therapy, a person should walk in a clean, secluded place where sufficient fresh air is available. We can do it either daily by taking off clothes or wearing light clothes. Air treatment is beneficial in cases of arthritis, nervousness, as well as skin diseases. It also helps to cure mental disorders.
Acupressure is also an ancient treatment method. In this, we try to cure the disease by pressing on the important points of different parts of the body.
Pressure points of the primary organs of our body are in the soles and palms of the feet. The massage of these pressure centers helps to relieve the affected organ. It also relieve the disease related to it. These special points are acupressure points. For example, there is a pressure point of the heart in the left leg and a light massage at this point provides relief in heart disease.
The acupuncture treatment method provides relief from pain by pricking and shaking fine needles at specific points of the body. This helps in the flow’s correction of energy in the body. As per traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) theory, acupuncture points are at the meridians through which vital energy called Qi flows into the body. It ensures physical as well as mental wellbeing and also reduces pain.
Magnet therapy is also another type of alternative medicine. It uses magnets for treatment. We have considered magnetic therapy beneficial for people of all ages.
Magnetic therapy improves blood circulation in the body. The magnets produce heat in the body by keeping in constant contact with the body for some time. This improves all body functions and also increases blood circulation.