Snoring while sleeping is a common problem that is accompanied by loud noises and vibrations with breath while sleeping. This is a sleep-related problem. The sound of snoring can come from either the nose or the mouth. This sound starts and stops at any time after sleeping. Snoring, in reality, is a kind of sound that is produced when a person is unable to breathe freely through his nose and throat during sleep. When the flow of air causes vibrations in the tissues located in the skin of the throat, the snoring starts which is why people who often snore a lot are believed to have a lot of vibration in the tissues of their throat and nose. Snoring can lead to many other problems that include shortness of breath during sleep, excessive sleepiness during the day, difficulty concentrating, morning headache, sore throat upon waking, restlessness in sleep, gasping at night, and increased blood pressure.
Symptoms of Snoring
- Breathe in and out with a loud sound.
- At times, breathing stops for a few seconds.
- Gradual increase in the rate and time of breathing.
- Waking up in confusion when there is no breath while falling asleep.
- Being lethargic and laziness throughout the day.
- Feeling sleepy throughout the day even after getting enough sleep.
- Feeling tired
Reasons for snoring
There are many reasons for snoring, the main reasons are as follows:-
Snoring also occurs due to weight gain. When a person's weight increases, more meat hangs on his neck. While lying down, due to this flesh, the windpipe gets clogged, and breathing becomes difficult.
Excessive alcohol consumption
Like many pain-relieving drugs, alcohol also reduces the tension in the muscles of the body. Sometimes the muscles of the throat get stretched due to the consumption of too much alcohol which can cause snoring.
One reason for snoring is sinusitis. The nasal passages get clogged due to the enlargement of the sinus. Not only this but increasing the sound of snoring also affects the nasal passages. In such a situation, the patient with sinus needs to take special precautions.
If you have a blocked nose for a long time, see a doctor because sleeping pills, anti-allergic medicines also make the muscles of the respiratory tract sluggish which results in snoring.
Other causes of snoring
- The shortening of the lower jaw is also the reason for snoring. When a person's jaw is smaller than normal, his tongue turns backwards when he lies down which blocks the windpipe. In such a situation, pressure has to be applied to inhale and exhale. This causes vibration and snoring.
- Snoring occurs even if there is Vata and Kapha dosha.
- This disease is also genetic which passes from one person to another.
- Nasal airway obstruction: Nasal deformities such as a curvature of the septum (the wall that divides the nasal passages) or small particles inside the nose can also cause airway obstruction. Apart from this, some people start snoring in the winters.
- Even if the person's neck is too short, the sound comes with the breath while sleeping.
Problems caused by snoring
- Daytime sleepiness.
- Not being able to concentrate on anything.
- Fall asleep anytime.
- Suffering from high blood pressure.
- Having heart disease.
- Increased risk of heart stroke.
Home remedies to stop snoring
Peppermint oil is a beneficial remedy to stop snoring. Take two to three drops of this oil in the palm daily and inhale it. Apart from this, taking a few drops of this oil in hot water and taking steam also opens the blocked nose due to which the problem of snoring is reduced.
Vitamin C rich food
Snoring is also possible due to low immunity. In this case, eat fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C.
Fenugreek has antioxidant and antiviral properties which are helpful in curing snoring. It is believed that snoring also occurs due to not having a strong digestive system. In such a situation, drinking half a teaspoon of fenugreek powder with lukewarm water before sleeping at night provides relief from snoring.
Cardamom, which is rich in Ayurvedic properties, has also been considered right in the treatment of snoring. According to Ayurveda experts, cardamom powder with lukewarm water should be consumed before sleeping. This stops the snoring sound.
Turmeric has antiseptic and antibiotic properties which clear the nostrils and makes breathing easier. For this, drink turmeric cooked in milk every night before sleeping.
Every night, heat water in a bowl and add tea tree oil to it. After this, try to inhale the steam by taking deep breaths for 10 minutes. This removes nasal congestion and makes breathing easier.
How can snoring be stopped?
- Maintain a sleeping schedule.
- Before going to bed, clean your nose thoroughly.
- Take the right measures to prevent a runny nose.
- Avoid alcohol before sleeping.
- Do not eat food before going to bed, eat it one or two hours before.
- Sleep on a pillow with your head elevated for about 4 inches.
When to go to the doctor?
When you are suffering from the following problems due to snoring, you should see a doctor-
- When you are sad.
- When there is irritable behaviour.
- Lack of concentration.
- When there is lethargy even during the day.
- When breathing stops during sleep.
- If the problem of snoring increases.
- When you feel tired after waking up in the morning.
- Headache when you wake up in the morning.
- When you are short of breath while sleeping or you are drenched with sweat after waking up.