Amazing Nutritional Facts of Urad Dal
Urad dal (Black gram) is one of the most nutritious grams and is often used in India for its wide range of health benefits. It has various other names such as black lentils, matpe beans and mungo beans. Its scientific name is Wigna Mungo.
Urad dal is consumed in cooking and ayurvedic medicine, and is equally beneficial when used in both ways. It is considered a very rich source of protein and carbohydrates. It also contains vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium and calories. It offers many health benefits. We will know more about the benefits of urad dal through the section of this blog.
Importance of Urad dal in Ayurveda
It is used for various Ayurvedic medicinal purposes. Adding Urad dal to your daily diet helps in weight gain due to its balya nature. It is a rich source of nutrients and helps increase energy.
Ayurvedic Properties of Urad dal
- Sweet in taste.
- Snigdha (unctuous).
- Difficult to digest.
- Hot in potency.
- Best Vata dosha pacifier.
- Increases Kapha, Pitta and Rakta dosha in the body.
Benefits of Urad dal
- Improves digestion-Urad dal is good for health because it contains soluble and insoluble fiber which is good for digestion and also prevents constipation. This bulks up the stool in the digestive tract and stimulates peristalsis, contraction and relaxation of the abdominal muscles to expel waste materials. So if you are suffering from digestive problems like diarrhea, constipation, cramps or gas, urad dal can certainly be a good addition to your diet to help you out. It also helps you optimize the absorption of nutrients in your body.
- Increases bone mineral density-Urad dal is packed with essential minerals like magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium. All play an important role in affecting bone mineral density. This is especially important because our bones weaken with age, making us more susceptible to fractures and osteoporosis. Eating a diet rich in minerals can help you maintain healthy bones.
- Good in diabetics-High fiber foods are often recommended for people with diabetes because these help regulate the amount of nutrients absorbed by the digestive tract. Urad dal can help you maintain blood sugar and glucose levels, making your diabetes much more manageable. It also prevents drastic drops and spikes in sugar levels.
- Skin effective-Urad dal is used in almost every Ayurvedic medicine that deals with your skin. As it is very rich in minerals and vitamins, it is great for reducing inflammation on your skin. It can also help remove scars and blemishes, bring more oxygenated blood to your skin to make it look glowing and radiant, and also help heal and exfoliate your skin.
- Improves heart health-Urad dal is very good for your heart health as it contains high amounts of fiber, magnesium and potassium. It is known to provide many benefits that can keep your cardiovascular system healthy. It can balance your cholesterol, which is very good for your heart. It can also prevent atherosclerosis.
- Boosts energy-Urad dal is very high in iron, it is good for increasing the overall energy level in your body. Iron is an important nutrient for your body because it stimulates the production of red blood cells. These cells carry oxygen to all your organs. Thus, it boosts energy in the body.