Benefits and Uses of Shankhpushpi
There have been many herbs in Ayurveda which have been used since ancient times for many ayurvedic preparations in which the seeds, bark, leaves and flowers are used to cure many diseases. Shankhpushpi is also one of these herbs which is commonly used in Ayurveda to keep the body healthy. Apart from this, Shankhpushpi also has many mental and physical health benefits. It is mainly used to strengthen the mind, enhance memory and intelligence. According to experts, it is beneficial for all in today's stressful environment. All parts of this plant including flowers, leaves, roots, stems and seeds are used as medicine.
What is Shankhpushpi?
Shankhpushpi is a medicinal plant (flower) found in the forests of rocky land. Its botanical name is Convolvulus pluricaulis. The flower of Shankhpushpi is generally found in three colors (white, blue and red) but white colored flowering plants are especially used as medicine. The seeds of this plant fall off in the winter season and mix in the soil and start germinating again on their own during the rainy days. Its stems spread to a length of about 1 to 2 feet, the root is 1 to 2 inches long and is like a finger in thickness. The crushed leaves of shankhpushpi smell like radish.
Benefits of Shankhpushpi
- To improve memoryShankhpushpi is called a nerve tonic in Ayurveda because it contains elements like tryptenoids, flavonol glycosides, anthocyanins and steroids. All these elements are helpful in brain development and memory improvement. For this reason, Shankhpushpi is used in memory loss. Grinding all the parts including the root of Shankhpushpi and mixing honey or sugar candy with milk or butter is beneficial. It also sharpens the intellect of a person.
- Helpful in increasing concentrationShankhpushpi is considered a nootropic medicine, that is, a herb used for mental and intellectual development. According to experts, this medicine provides effective results in disorders related to attention, concentration, memory, intelligence and nervous system by relieving stress and enhancing mental capacity. For this reason, Shankhpushpi benefits in increasing concentration.
- To relieve stressThe use of Shankhpushpi is considered beneficial to relieve stress. The nutrients present in it are known to promote brain health. Apart from this, anti-stress and antidepressant activities are found in Shankhpushpi, which helps in dealing with mental problems like stress and depression. For this, take a decoction of the panchang (five parts) of this plant or the powder of its root. This helps to relieve stress and get sound sleep.
- Relieves weaknessApart from mental weakness, consumption of Shankhpushpi is also an effective remedy in removing physical weakness. In fact, in a research done on diabetic patients in this subject, it was found that people using Shankhpushpi were found to be mentally strong. Along with this, a lot of physical improvement was also seen in those people. Thus, it would not be wrong to say that regular use of Shankhpushpi proves to be effective in removing physical weakness as well.
Beneficial in urinary disorders
Shankhpushpi is a very beneficial medicine in urinary problems. Problems such as pain or burning while urinating, frequent urination, passing urine, etc., are cured by its consumption. For this, taking the powder of Shankhpushpi with cow's milk or butter, honey and buttermilk daily is beneficial.
- Useful in blood in vomitingShankhpushpi also works like a medicine in stopping vomiting of blood. For this, take 4 spoons of shankhpushpi juice, 1 spoon of Giloy juice and 1 spoon of Durva grass juice daily.
- For diabetic patientsConsumption of Shankhpushpi is beneficial for diabetic patients. It works by transmitting new energy to all the cells of the body and controlling diabetes. Therefore it is beneficial to take the powder of Shankhpushpi with cow's milk or water twice a day.
- Helpful in curing cold, cough, fever and asthmaAs the weather changes, problems like cold, cough, fever and asthma start arising for which Shankhpushpi is an effective medicine. Consuming shankhpushpi juice with basil and ginger is beneficial for these problems. Along with this, drying the leaves of Shankhpushpi and using it like a hookah to get rid of fever, asthma and chronic cough is also beneficial.
- Helpful in curing piles and constipationShankhpushpi is very effective in piles and constipation. It helps to clear the toxins accumulated inside the intestines due to which it provides relief in constipation and piles. Apart from this, Shankhpushpi works to maintain the balance of pitta dosha in the body which helps to cure acidity. For this, mix the juice of the leaves of Shankhpushpi in a glass of milk and consume it daily in the morning.
- Beneficial in various gynecological problemsShankhpushpi is used to cure various gynecological problems and to treat menstrual disorders in women. It acts as a tonic for the uterine muscles and endometrium. In the problem of excessive bleeding during menstruation, it is beneficial to take the powder of shankhpushpi mixed with harad, ghee, shatavari and sugar. Its use makes menstruation regular.
Uses of Shankhpushpi
- The powder of Shankhpushpi is consumed with milk or lukewarm water.
- Its powder is used with butter or honey.
- The Panchang of Shankhpushpi is consumed in the form of decoction.
- Shankhpushpi is also used in the form of syrup.
Side effects of Shankhpushpi
- Consumption of Shankhpushpi is prohibited for children under 3 years of age.
- It should be avoided during pregnancy or take it under the supervision of a doctor.