Causes, Symptoms and Home remedies for Dysentery
Dysentery is a type of stomach related disease which is mainly caused by dirt. When a person eats or drinks something with dirty hands, the bacteria reach the intestines of the stomach through the hands due to which the problem of dysentery arises. Therefore, one should take special care of cleanliness. When dysentery occurs, the patient starts having loose motions. Sometimes a few drops of blood or mucus appear along with the diarrhoea that leads to physical weakness. This problem is common in young children but can happen in people of all ages. Therefore, it can prove to be a serious problem if it is not treated in time.
The severe form of diarrhoea is called dysentery which is a kind of intestinal disorder. In this, the person's stool comes out like water. Apart from this, blood or mucus also comes with the stool. Usually, this diarrhoea lasts for a week. In some cases, patients recover quickly but in other cases, the patients are not able to recover quickly. Dysentery is mainly caused by bacterial infection. It can also be caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. Apart from this, dysentery is also caused by infection with micro-organisms, certain drugs and other diseases.
Types and Causes of Dysentery
Generally, there are two types of dysentery which are the following-
This type of dysentery is caused by a bacteria called Shigella. These bacteria are usually found in contaminated food and water due to which the bacteria called Shigella enter the stomach due to which dysentery, diarrhoea and other types of stomach related problems arise.
This type of dysentery is caused by a parasite called Entamoeba histolytica. It mostly happens in places with dirt i.e. lack of cleanliness. In particular, this parasite affects the intestines and causes infection with croup. Apart from this, these parasites form cysts. Mostly these parasites live in contaminated places. Also, it can survive outside the body. Therefore, you should clean your hands immediately after coming from the toilet so that no infection can enter the body.
Other causes of dysentery-
- Due to wrong eating habits.
- Eating food with dirty hands.
- Eating uncovered food.
- Consuming food contaminated by flies.
- Taking a bath in a contaminated river or pond.
- Shaking hands or coming into physical contact with infected people.
- Not washing hands thoroughly after toilet.
- Consumption of contaminated water and other beverages.
Symptoms of Dysentery
Many people may have more than one symptom of dysentery which are-
- Loose stools.
- Frequent defecation.
- Abdominal pain or cramps.
- Blood or mucus in the stool.
- Vomiting or nausea.
- Abdominal cramps or other problems.
- Difficulty in passing stool.
- Weakness and fatigue.
- Lack of water (dehydration) in the body.
Take these Precautions in case of Dysentery
- Take special care of cleanliness.
- Avoid drinking contaminated water.
- Make sure to wash hands properly after using the washroom.
- Help young children wash their hands properly.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before eating food.
- Wash soiled clothing, bedsheets and towels thoroughly in hot water.
- Do not eat food prepared in the open.
- Do not consume contaminated and stale food.
- Eat well-cooked food.
- Drink an adequate amount of fluids daily.
- Boil water and drink it.
Home remedies of Dysentery
Rice and Moong dal water-
In Ayurveda, it is recommended to drink rice and moong dal water for problems like dysentery and constipation.
Drink plenty of water-
Drink plenty of water and fluids like coconut water, lemonade and ORS solution to avoid dehydration.
Haritaki proves to be effective in getting relief from dysentery because the antibacterial properties found in it prove to be helpful in the home treatment of dysentery. For this, take haritaki powder with lukewarm water.
Taking honey with lukewarm water provides relief in loose motion and dysentery. Apart from this, oats, corn flakes, herbal tea etc. can be consumed with honey.
Apple cider vinegar-
Apple cider vinegar is helpful in preventing dysentery or loose motions because it has natural anti-bacterial properties.
Consumption of bael fruit is very beneficial for dysentery and stomach problems. Apart from this, drinking bael syrup is also beneficial in dysentery.
Consumption of raw bananas is also helpful in preventing dysentery because an element called pectin is found in bananas. Apart from this, peel and mash the green banana and mix it well with buttermilk. Now consume this mixture. It acts as a medicine in the treatment of dysentery.
Consumption of papaya proves to be effective in the treatment of many problems related to dysentery, constipation and stomach. Proteolytic enzymes like papain and chymopapain are found in papaya which is enriched with antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Its antibacterial property plays an important role in preventing dysentery. For this, peel the papaya, grate it and boil it. Now filter its water, let it cool down and drink it.
- In Ayurveda, buttermilk acts as a medicine in the treatment of dysentery.
- The initial stage of dysentery can be cured only by changing the diet.