Cholera- Causes, Symptoms and Home remedies
Cholera is a type of seasonal disorder caused by bacterial infection actively seen in the rainy season. It is caused by eating contaminated food or bacteria, viruses and parasites. This problem is seen in both young children and the elderly. People start complaining of diarrhea and vomiting due to cholera which further results in lack of water in the body (dehydration) leading to weakness. Therefore, if it is not treated in time, it can prove to be fatal.
Cholera is a disease related to the digestive system in which the patient starts to vomit with loose stools which usually lasts for 2 to 3 days. In some cases the patients recover soon.
Symptoms of Cholera
There are many symptoms of cholera but depending on their cause, one or more symptoms can occur such as-
- Frequent vomiting
- Lack of water in the body (dehydration)
- Abdominal cramps
- Rapid heart rate
- Frequent dry mouth
- Feeling thirsty
- Having low blood pressure
- Anxiety or irritability
- Muscle cramps
- Feeling lethargic
- Getting more sleep
- Sunken eyes
Causes of Cholera
The main cause of cholera disease is the ingestion of contaminated food and water through which harmful bacteria called Vibrio cholerae enter the body. These harmful bacteria cause diarrhea, vomiting and many stomach related problems. Apart from this, there can be other reasons for getting cholera which are the following-
- Infection in the stomach
- Lack of water in the body (dehydration)
- Drinking contaminated water
- Consumption of ice made from contaminated water
- Eating vegetables grown in wastewater
- Consuming fish found in polluted water or salt water
- When the digestive power of the person is weak
- When the contaminated water enters the stomach while swimming
- Living in very hot or humid climates
- Eating undercooked and raw meat
Measures to prevent Cholera
- Take special care of cleanliness
- Get vaccinated before going to cholera prone places
- Do not go to places with water logging or stagnant water.
- Wash hands thoroughly after coming from the toilet
- Use boiled water
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before eating food
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Drink a sufficient amount of water daily
- Pay special attention to your diet
- Eat fully cooked and hot food
- Avoid unpasteurized milk and products made from it
- Avoid consumption of fried and junk food
- Keep food properly covered
- Wash fruits or vegetables thoroughly and use them
Home remedies of Cholera
Early stage cholera can be cured with dietary changes such as-
- In cholera, it is advisable to drink water of rice and moong dal.
- To avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water and fluids like coconut water, lemonade and ORS solution.
- Mint proves to be effective in getting relief from cholera because the antibacterial properties found in it prove to be helpful in the home treatment of cholera. For this, mint juice or its tea is great.
- Taking honey with lukewarm water provides relief in loose motion and the problem of cholera. Apart from this, oats, corn flakes, herbal tea etc. can be consumed with honey.
- Curd or buttermilk is an effective treatment for cholera because curd is full of healthy bacteria. Therefore, apart from improving digestion, it eliminates harmful bacteria called Vibrio cholerae due to which the immunity of the body increases.
- The properties present in garlic prove to be effective in preventing diseases like cholera. For this, drinking boiled water of garlic is beneficial.
- Apple cider vinegar is helpful in preventing cholera or loose motions because it has natural antibacterial properties.
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek and cumin seeds and fry them on a griddle. Now make a powder of this mixture and take half a teaspoon daily with lukewarm water. By doing this, there is relief in the problem of diarrhea or cholera.
- Basil leaves are very beneficial for health. Along with this, its leaves also act as medicine in the treatment of cholera. For this, grind basil, neem leaves, camphor and asafoetida and make a tablet of it and let it dry. Taking this tablet in the morning and evening provides relief in cholera.