Hemp Seed Oil: Importance, Benefits, Side effects
The Hempseed (Cannabis sativa ssp. Sativa) is a mixture, made as a paste by soaking, drying, and grinding the buds and leaves of the hemp plant. Hemp seeds, used in the right way and the right quantity prove to be beneficial for the body in many ways.
What is Hemp Seed Oil?
Hemp Seed is found in the Hemp plant and its oil is prepared from these seeds. These seeds have the same green color as fennel seeds. It contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) fibers which have intoxicating properties. Also, hemp seeds or oil contain polyunsaturated fatty acids, cannabinoids, proteins, vitamin-E, and other nutrients. All these properties make it beneficial for curing many health conditions.
Importance of Hemp Seed Oil in Ayurveda
Hemp Seed oil plays a huge role in Ayurvedic medicine. It is known to treat many diseases including nausea, vomiting, and physical pain. Hempseed is a substance widely known for its medicinal properties as it contains an element called cannabinoid which relieves problems like phlegm and bile. It contains many types of cannabinoids but in Ayurveda, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) Cannabidiol (CBD) has been considered the best.
Both CBD and THC have a molecular structure that is similar to the naturally produced compounds in the body which are known as endocannabinoids. Endocannabinoids bind to the body's cannabinoid receptors, those involved in activities such as learning, memory, decision making, and immunity of the person.
Advantages of Hemp Seed Oil
Effective in Skin diseases-
Hempseeds are beneficial for the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help in keeping the skin diseases away. In addition, omega-6 fatty acids in hemp seeds help in the regeneration of cells in the skin. This keeps the skin healthy. Hempseed cleanses the blood. As a result, all skin diseases are easily cured.
Fiber is needed to keep the digestive power healthy which is abundantly present in hempseed. About 80% insoluble and 20% soluble fiber is found in it. Soluble fibers are gel-like, which increase digestive bacteria in the body. It also keeps blood sugar and cholesterol levels right. Insoluble fiber cleanses the intestines thoroughly. Both these fibers help complete digestion. Therefore, it can be said that taking the right amount of Hempseed can keep the digestive power healthy.
Beneficial for Heart-
The amino acid arginine is found in hemp seeds which makes nitric oxide in the body. This helps to dilute the nitric oxide in blood vessels due to which the blood pressure remains normal.
Beneficial in Diabetes-
The hemp seed oil contains omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids which help in reducing the symptoms of type 1 diabetes for diabetic patients.
Beneficial for Hair-
Protein, vitamin-E, and antioxidant elements are found in hemp seeds which help make the beard and hair long, thick, and naturally shiny. Apart from this, the acid present in hemp oil also helps in strengthening delicate hair.
Beneficial for the Brain-
The essential fatty acids present in Hempseed helps in Alzheimer's (amnesia) and Parkinson's disease, which weaken the brain. Hempseed is helpful to overcome these situations. It helps by increasing memory and relieving brain fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
Help to overcome Insomnia-
The presence of magnesium in hemp seeds helps treat insomnia. The reaction of magnesium to enzymes and hormones leads to sound sleep. So if a person is suffering from insomnia then using Hempseed properly can help overcome this problem.
Uses of Hempseed
Following are the methods of using Hempseed-
- Hempseed can be consumed by mixing it with milk.
- It can be used by adding it to smoothies.
- It can also be used as a sprinkle over salads.
- Hempseed can be consumed by grinding and mixing with oatmeal and curd.
Home Remedies of Hempseed Oil
- Headache can be eliminated with extracts of Hemp leaves or by putting 2-3 drops of Hempseed Oil in the ear.
- If there is any wound, apply a paste of Hemp leaves to the wound. This would heal the wound quickly.
- If there is swelling on any part of the body, make a paste of Hempseed or hemp leaves and apply it to the affected area. This would help to reduce the swelling.
- If the skin is parched or rough, the use of Hemp leaves helps to make the skin smooth. For this, prepare a paste by grinding hemp leaves and apply it to the skin.
- Hempseeds are important for calorie-burning and muscle development, because of protein and many amino acids. After exercise, drinking juice or a shake of some hemp seeds is beneficial.
- Correct use of hempseed oil or hemp paste also proves beneficial for arthritis.
- Consumption of hempseed in small amounts increases the intensity of your senses and sensations. It is helpful to enhance hearing and vision. Apart from this, proper intake of hempseed also works to improve a grim mood.
Side effects with Hempseed
- Hempseeds are high in fat. Excess intake of which affects the digestive system. This can cause mild diarrhea and other problems.
- If any person is undergoing medical treatment, then consult the doctor before using hempseed.
- Brain problems can also arise because of excess intake of hempseed.
- People who are allergic to hempseed should not use it.
- Those who are on anticoagulant drugs should not consume hemp seeds because they can break up platelets in the blood. This may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Pregnant women should not consume it at all because it may lead to miscarriage.