Know the Amazing Benefits of Lodhra
Lodhra is a medicinal tree, which belongs to the family Symplocaceae whose botanical name is Symplocos Racemosa. It is found in many places in India. Due to its medicinal properties, Lodhra is used in many types of medicines in Ayurveda. Traditionally, the root, bark and leaves of Lodhra are used for the treatment of many diseases. Generally it is known to cure problems related to diarrhoea, dysentery, liver, eyes and uterus.
What is Lodhra?
Lodhra trees are medium-sized and evergreen and have two species. First one is Lodhra and second is Pathani Lodhra. Its bark is thin and scaly while the leaves are circular or oval, 3 to 4 inches long. The stalks of its leaves are small and velvety. Its flowers are small in size and found in clusters in white and light yellow color and are fragrant. Generally, the flowers bloom from November to February. The fruits are purple in color and about 1 to 1.5 inches in size having 2-3 seeds inside. Its roots, bark, flowers and leaves are used in Ayurvedic medicine for treating many diseases.
Benefits of Lodhra
- Beneficial for eyesLodhra is traditionally used to cure eye problems. The antioxidant properties in it helps in relieving watery and sore eyes, swelling, redness and other eye diseases. For this, make powder by roasting Lodhra and Mahua in ghee. Now make a paste of this powder with milk and apply it on the eyelids. Apart from this, soak the roasted Lodhra powder in ghee or hot water in a cloth. After that, compress the eyes with this.
- Effective in ulcerLodhra is considered an effective medicine in the treatment of ulcers because it has anti-ulcer properties, which are helpful in reducing the symptoms of ulcer. Apart from this, making a paste of Lodhra, Nigrodha, Khadira and Triphala and Ghee is beneficial to get relief in ulcers.
- For oral healthLodhra has been used for years to ensure good oral health. According to a research conducted by NCBI, Lodha i.e. Lodhra is used in Ayurveda to treat bleeding gums. According to another research, the antibacterial properties present in it helps cure dental problems. For this, prepare a decoction using the bark of Lodhra and gargle with it. Doing this for a few days provides relief in bleeding gums and other dental problems. Apart from this, applying paste made from Lodhra, Masta, Rasanjana and honey on the affected areas is beneficial.
- Useful in the treatment of PCOSIncreased levels of male hormones (androgens) in women's ovaries, i.e. adrenal glands, increase the chances of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) due to which cysts (fluid-filled sacs) start forming in the ovaries of women which poses the risk of infertility or other related problems. The consumption of decoction made of Lodhra bark is an effective remedy for its treatment as it has an anti-androgenic effect. It helps to prevent ovarian cell dysfunction in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) by reducing testosterone levels and also increasing fertility.
- Helpful in removing vaginal infectionThe leaves of Lodhra have been used traditionally to cure sexual infections and many vaginal problems. To avoid this type of infection, dry the leaves of Lodhra and make a powder. Use this powder to make a paste by adding water. Now apply this paste in the vaginal area. It is a natural remedy to get rid of vaginal infections.
- Beneficial for skinConsuming Lodhra is very beneficial for the skin. It removes many skin related problems as it has antibacterial properties which helps cure the infection by protecting the skin cells. It also protects the skin from damage caused by free radicals. Thus, it keeps the skin healthy and beautiful.
Uses of Lodhra
- The root, bark and leaves of Lodhra are used in the form of decoction or juice.
- The powder made from its bark is consumed with water after meals.
- The powder made from its seeds is also used for medicinal purposes.
- A paste made from the bark and leaves of Lodhra is used for skin disorders.
Side effects of Lodhra
- Lodhra lowers the level of sugar present in the blood. Therefore, people taking diabetes medicines must consult a doctor before consuming it.
- Lodhra has anti-androgen properties, which can reduce testosterone (male hormone). Therefore, men should avoid its consumption.
- Do not consume it on an empty stomach. Doing so can cause stomach related problems like heaviness in the stomach, nausea, vomiting etc.
- It should not be consumed during pregnancy.