Procedure, Benefits and Precautions of doing Adho Mukha Svanasana
Adho Mukha Svanasana is very beneficial for children and the elderly. Its continuous practice strengthens the legs, arms and shoulders. Practicing this asana helps in regulating the flow of blood to the head and brain. Apart from this, Adho Mukha Svanasana Yoga generates energy in the body and provides warmth to the body which helps relieve many types of physical and mental problems.
What is Adho Mukha Svanasana?
Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward Facing Dog Pose, is one of the 12 postures of Surya Namaskar. This asana lies under the category of intermediate level yoga in which the shape of the body comes in an inverted "V" shape. This yoga asana is made up of four Sanskrit words. First “Adho” which means inclined downward or forward, second “Mukha” means mouth, third “Swan” means dog and “Asana” means posture. While practicing this asana, the shape of the person's body is formed in the same way as a dog bends forward.
Benefits of doing Adho Mukha Svanasana
- This yoga practice strengthens the legs, arms and shoulders.
- This asana is helpful in stretching the muscles of the back, hips, arms and shoulders.
- This mudra relieves headache, insomnia and fatigue.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana improves the digestive system by stimulating the abdominal organs.
- This asana energizes the body.
- Continuous practice of Adho Mukha Svanasana reduces physical fatigue, anxiety and stress.
- This asana is very beneficial for keeping the heart healthy and protecting it from heart-related diseases.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana is a therapeutic remedy for asthma, sinus, high blood pressure, flat feet and sciatica.
Procedure for doing Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Lay a yoga mat on the floor or a flat place, come in the posture of marjariasana on it.
- In this pose, you are on your knees. Both hands are placed on the ground keeping the back straight.
- Now putting the weight on your hands, take the right foot ahead & the left foot back.
- Simultaneously raise your hips up & make sure the heels stay low to the ground.
- Now keep your arms straight. Simultaneously, keeping the back straight, take the chest as far as possible towards the ground.
- In this state, a stretch will be felt on the chest and shoulders.
- Now focus your eyes on your navel.
- Inhale and exhale in this posture at least 5 times so that you can stay in this posture for about 1 minute.
- Do this exercise according to your ability.
Take these precautions while doing Adho Mukha Asana-
- Do not put too much pressure on your body while doing this asana.
- Do not do Adho Mukha Svanasana beyond your capacity.
- Do not practice this asana if there is any kind of injury or acute pain in the back.
- People suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome should avoid doing Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Pregnant women should not practice Adho Mukha Svanasana.