Sanay and its Benefits
There are many plants, whose flowers and leaves are used to make Ayurvedic medicines. Sanay leaves also fall in this category. Sanay is a year-old herbaceous plant that is approximately 60–100 cm long. It is cultivated mainly for leaves and legumes. It contains alkaloids, the amount of which is 3 to 5 percent in beans and 2.5 to 4 percent in leaves. The leaves of Sanay are rich in many rare medicinal properties which are very useful for health. It is a purgative, antimicrobial that removes impurities in the body.
In some areas, Sanay is called "Swarnamukhi", and in some places, Sanay is also called "Sonamukhi" or "Sunamukhi". It is an important medicinal ingredient to relieve the digestive problems of the stomach. Constipation is eliminated by its use and fever is reduced. In addition, it also relieves sore throat. Swarnamukhi is mostly used as a tea.
Medicinal Uses and Benefits of Sanay-
According to Ayurveda, the taste of Sanay is bitter and warm in nature. It works by taking out the mucus and feces with diarrhea. Following are the benefits of Sanay-
- It is beneficial in breathing, cough, itching, arthritis, tingling pain in the hands and feet.
- Consuming Sanay with Gulkand provides warmth in winters.
- Consuming it along with honey increases the strength of the body.
- Consuming Sanay with ghee reduces every pain.
- Consumption of Sanay with sugar helps to cure lethargy and chest pain.
- Consuming Sanay with sugar candy brings a lot of agility to the body.
- Sanay intake with water makes the body inoperable.
- New blood cells aew formed in the body by consuming Sanay with cow's milk.
- Eating Sanay with Chopchini develops eye light.
- Taking Sanay with date palm removes the bad smell of the mouth.
- Consumption of Sanay with tamarind juice relieves chest pain.
- Eating sanay with pomegranate syrup clears the stomach.
- Intake of Sanay with lukewarm water cures diseases of the ear, nose, and head.
Benefits of Sanay leaves
Many ayurvedic properties are found in Sanay leaves which provide many benefits to the body. Using sanay leaves helps a sick person to recover quickly.
Let us know more about the benefits of Sanay leaves -
Helpful in Relieving Constipation-
Constipation problem is reduced by taking Sanay leaves or tea made from it. Sanay has steam-free laxative properties, which act as a stomach-cleansing medicine. Its use promotes intestinal activity, which reduces the problem of constipation.
Beneficial for Hair-
The benefits of Sanay leaves also include getting rid of hair problems. By using Sanay leaves, the hair becomes stronger than the roots. It also helps in conditioning the hair and preventing hair fall. Washing the hair with water a few hours after applying a paste of Sanay leaves with essential oil in the head gives them shine.
Assists in Weight loss-
A research report published by NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) states that Sanay leaves are used as home remedies to avoid many types of problems. Consuming herbal tea made from Sanay leaves reduces weight. For this, the laxative property found in Sanay leaves is beneficial.
Helpful in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome-
According to scientific research, Sanay leaves can be used for relieving intestinal disease. Due to the laxative properties, it is considered a panacea for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). This property works to clean the dirt and toxins stored in the intestines. As a result, the intestinal disease is cured quickly.
Effective in Killing Stomach Worms-
Sanay's laxative properties are beneficial in the treatment of stomach and intestinal worms. Therefore, Sanay can be used for treating stomach worms.
Where is it found?
The botanical name of Sanay is Senna alexandrina Mill & Cassia angustifolia. The herb is native to South Arabia. It is cultivated in India in Tamil Nadu. The dry climate of the Sirohi districts in Rajasthan is considered suitable for this crop.