Stomach Ulcers: Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
Due to changes in lifestyle and diet nowadays, stomach ulcers are a common problem. A stomach wound is called a stomach ulcer. When this wound occurs in the stomach, it is known as Peptic Ulcer. Ulcers in the stomach are not only painful but also cause unbearable pain in the stomach.
A peptic ulcer is a blister that forms on the inner surface of the stomach. If not treated in time, this blister turns into a wound, which can prove to be very dangerous after some time. This problem can also cause internal bleeding and infection. Therefore, it is very important to start treatment immediately as soon as this problem is known, otherwise, it can also cause several other problems that may be serious.
What are Stomach Ulcers?
Peptic ulcers (ulcers) are lesions that occur in the upper part of the stomach or small intestine. This problem arises when the food digested acid starts to damage the inner mucous membrane of the intestine. The stomach has a smooth layer of mucus which protects the inner stomach layer from pepsin acid and hydrochloric acid. Although both these acids are necessary for digestion, at one time they can also harm the tissues of the body. In this way, stomach ulcers or stomach sores occur when the balance between the acid and mucous membranes deteriorates. It is usually in the upper membrane of the alimentary canal, stomach, and small intestine.
Types of Peptic Ulcers
Peptic ulcers are usually of three types-
Gastric Ulcer- These ulcers are inside the stomach.
Esophageal Ulcer- These ulcers occur in the alimentary canal.
Duodenal Ulcer- These ulcers occur in the upper part of the small intestine.
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer
The most common symptom of stomach ulcers is abdominal pain and burning sensation in the stomach. This burning sensation occurs from the navel to the chest and the pain may be severe or less. Sometimes this pain also leads to insomnia.
Common symptoms of Stomach Ulcers are as follows-
- Black-colored vomit.
- Indistinct weight loss.
- Sour burps.
- Change in appetite.
- Chest pain.
- Abdominal bloating.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Bleeding or dark-colored stools.
- Abdominal pain and exacerbation of this pain on an empty stomach.
- Stomach irritation that increases at night.
- Vomiting of blood in more severe conditions.
- Nausea and no desire to eat at all.
Causes of Peptic Ulcers
A variety of factors can cause ulcers to develop in the stomach, esophagus, and small intestine. These are-
- A bacterial infection called Helicobacter Pylori is the most prominent cause of ulcers. It consists of contaminated food and water.
- Consumption of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco in large quantities.
- Excess acid secretion inside the stomach.
- Long-term use of painkillers.
- Excessive intake of oily and spicy food.
- Excessive consumption of drugs with osteoporosis.
- Living under extreme stress and depression.
- Excessive consumption of aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Genetic causes.
- To be over 50 years of age.
- Suffering from liver, lung, and kidney diseases.
Precautions to avoid Peptic Ulcer
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- To avoid stomach infections, wash your hands thoroughly before eating.
- Limited use of painkillers such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen.
- Always drink water by boiling it.
- Eat the vegetables thoroughly by washing them and cooking the food thoroughly.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly as a salad before consuming them.
- Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and maintaining a healthy lifestyle reduces the risk of stomach ulcers. Therefore, such foods should be consumed.
- Get enough sleep.
- Do not starve for long.
- Eat on time.
- Do not use antibiotics too often.
Home remedies for Peptic Ulcers
- For the treatment of stomach ulcers, eat food rich in probiotics like wheat, sweet potato, pickle, cabbage, and cheese.
- Yogurt is a very good source of probiotics. Therefore, eating curd is very beneficial in the case of ulcers.
- In case of stomach ulcers consume gooseberry jam. Gooseberry jam helps in the quick healing of stomach ulcers.
- Eat a pinch of asafoetida in the raw banana vegetables. Doing this provides benefits in stomach ulcer disease.
- Toast one-fourth teaspoon asafetida in ghee, mix one teaspoon of cumin, and a pinch of rock salt in it. It is a beneficial remedy for stomach ulcers.
- If there is a blister in the stomach, drink half a teaspoon juice of betel leaves. It provides relief in stomach ulcers and pain.
- Grind 4 to 5 raisins soaked in water overnight with two small harad. Taking it daily in the morning provides relief in symptoms like burning and vomiting in the ulcer.
- In the morning, dissolve four to five teaspoons of bangles and fennel powder in two liters of water. Take this solution in the evening. Doing this regularly provides relief in peptic ulcers.
- Grind 5 to 7 almonds and boil them in a glass of milk and consume it when it cools down. Almond milk provides relief from peptic ulcer problems.
- Boil one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in two cups of water. Now filter this water and add one spoon of honey to it. This remedy relieves symptoms of stomach ulcers.
- Remove the juice by taking equal amounts of carrots and cabbage. Taking one cup of this juice daily in the morning and evening helps in the relief of peptic ulcers.
- In the case of stomach blisters, squeezing half a lemon in half a cup of cold milk and drinking it relieves stomachache.
- To get relief from the symptoms of stomach ulcers, grind the drumstick leaves and mix them with curd and eat. Do this for one to two days. The use of drumsticks is beneficial in stomach ulcers.
When to go to the doctor?
- Sudden weight loss due to peptic ulcer.
- Unbearable pain in the abdomen.
- If there is a severe burning sensation in the stomach.
- In case of bleeding in vomit.
- On feeling the swelling in the abdomen.
- Difficulty in breathing due to ulcers.
- Stomach ache not reduced even after taking the medicine.
- When you feel pain from touching the stomach.
- If there is more difficulty in digesting food due to ulcers.
- If stomach ulcers are not treated on time, they can also become stomach cancer. Therefore, if any of the above symptoms appear, contact the doctor immediately.