Symptoms and Diagnosis of Tonsillitis
As the weather changes, people start complaining of a sore throat. This complaint is often due to a throat infection. When it increases, there is a risk of a disease called tonsils in the throat. This infection is common and can happen to anyone but it cannot be ignored as a sign of changing weather. The person suffering from this has difficulty in eating, drinking and swallowing.
What is Tonsillitis?
Tonsils are part of the lymphatic system of the body which is on both sides of the throat and behind the tongue. Where the glands of the mouth and nose meet, these glands prevent infection-causing bacteria from entering the body. In this way, tonsils play an important role in the defence mechanism of the body.
When there is any kind of infection in the tonsils due to which the size of the tonsils changes and swelling starts. Tonsillitis can happen to a person of any age but mostly it is seen in people from young children to adolescence (up to 5-15 years).
Symptoms of Tonsillitis
- Feeling unbearable pain in the throat.
- More difficulty in swallowing.
- The appearance of swollen lymph gland of the throat.
- High fever.
- Persistent dry throat.
- Pain in jaw and neck.
- Pain in the lower part of the ear.
- Feeling more tired, weak and irritable.
- The appearance of white marks on tonsils.
- Heaviness in the voice for more than two weeks.
Causes of Tonsillitis
There are two main causes of tonsillitis. First by bacteria and second by a virus. Apart from this, there are other reasons as well.
Let us discuss these reasons-
- Because of viral infection (common cold).
- By shouting or suppressing voice.
- By breathing in chemical fumes or air pollution.
- Whooping cough and influenza.
- Being allergic to a substance.
- When the immune system is weak.
- Lack of moisture in the throat.
- On consuming more cold things like ice cream, cold drinks etc.
- Upon entering the body of a bacterium called Streptococcus.
- Excessive smoking.
Types of Tonsils
In this type of tonsils, there is swelling. It is mainly caused due to throat infection and affects the pharynx i.e, the back part of the tongue (a part of the throat). It is mostly seen in youth.
This problem of tonsils is seen in young children which are cured with the use of antibiotics. In some children, this problem is recurring.
This is a severe form of tonsils. Tonsil stones (a type of greasy substance) start forming in the throat of the person suffering from this.
This is also a type of tonsils that occurs due to more infection in the head and neck. This type of tonsils is also seen more in youth.
Things to keep in mind if you have tonsillitis-
- Avoid smoking.
- Gargle with lukewarm saltwater.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not consume cough enhancing substances like curd, ice water, cold milk, ice cream, rice etc.
- Avoid consumption of stale food, junk food.
- Wash hands thoroughly before eating to avoid any kind of infection.