Tamanu Oil: Benefits, Uses and Precautions
Many types of oils are used by people in their daily lives. Some of these oils are used as food, while some are used to keep hair and skin healthy and strong. A similar oil is Tamanu oil. Most people remain unaware of this oil, but Tamanu oil has many beneficial properties. This oil has properties such as calophilic acid, phospholipids, antibiotics, and many powerful antioxidants. For skin and hair, this oil is also used in cosmetic products. This oil is prepared from the seeds of the Tamanu nut tree.
Nutritional ingredients in Tamanu oil
Tamanu oil is rich in all nutritional elements. This oil mainly contains lactones in three compounds - calophilic acid, phospholipids, and antibiotic. Research on Tamanu oil found that it contains calophyllolide (a substance with anti- inflammatory properties) and delta-tocotrienol (a form of vitamin E). Apart from this, many such antioxidant elements are found in Tamanu Oil, which works to enhance its specialty.
Benefits of Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oil contains many health benefits for the skin and hair. Lets talk about these benefits-
Benefits of Tamanu Oil for Skin
To reduce pimples-
Tamanu oil has antibacterial properties, which help eliminate acne from the skin by fighting pimples and bacteria. Also, the anti-inflammatory properties of Tamanu Oil work to reduce acne, inflammation, and redness. For this, Tamanu oil should be applied to the infected area with the help of cotton at night before going to bed.
To get rid of sunburn-
Calophyllolide (a substance with anti-inflammatory properties) present in Tamanu oil helps in healing sunburn and blisters. It reduces the redness of the skin. For this, take a few drops of Tamanu oil in the palm and properly massage the face and skin. By doing this, you get rid of sunburn in a few days.
To hydrate dry skin-
Oleic and linoleic fatty acids are found in Tamanu oil which helps in moisturizing dry skin as a cleansing agent. Tamanu oil has vitamin E and antibacterial properties which make lifeless and dry skin soft. In addition, Tamanu oil also has antihypertensive and antifungal properties which take good care of the skin. Therefore, it can be used to smoothen dry and rough skin.
To reduce wrinkles-
Tamanu oil is a super effective natural anti-aging compound that helps reduce signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines. For this, mix tamanu oil with olive oil and apply it to the face, and after some time wash it with cold water. Also, add sea salt to Tamanu Oil and scrub it on the body. This scrub exfoliates the skin and provides moisture and makes the skin soft. In this process, sea salt works by opening the pores of the skin and reducing the oxidative stress of the skin with olive or argan oil.
To brighten the skin color-
Sometimes, the skin turns dark due to sunlight and UV rays. In this case, using Tamanu oil is good for the skin because the lactone present in Tamanu oil helps to cleanse the skin. Lactone acts as an antioxidant on the skin which helps in reducing pigmentation and oxidative stress and brightening the skin color. For this, take a few drops of Tamanu oil in the palm and properly massage the face and skin.
Helpful in psoriasis and eczema-
Tamanu oil is used for skin for severe skin problems like Psoriasis and Eczema. Psoriasis is a skin disease in which the skin becomes flaky and red. This also causes pain and swelling on the skin.
Benefits of Tamanu Oil for hair
- Helps to nourish hair-
- Tamanu oil is beneficial in any type of hair problem. The oleic acid, linoleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid present in it work to make the hair healthy and strong. Apart from this, Tamanu Oil is easily absorbed into the scalp and helps improve blood circulation and hair growth which makes it easier to treat hair fall. For this, it is good to massage the scalp by mixing a few drops of Tamanu oil in coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil.
For scalp related disease-
Tamanu oil works to retain moisture in the skin. Due to its properties, it is also used in moisturizing products. The anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties present in Tamanu oil relieve scalp infections. Additionally, the anti- inflammatory properties of Tamanu Oil prove beneficial for relieving itching of the scalp.
Use of Tamanu Oil
- Tamanu oil can be applied directly to the skin.
- It is also used extensively in beauty and cosmetic products. Soap, cream, lotion, perfume, scrub, oil, etc. products made of Tamanu oil are available in the market.
- Tamanu oil can also be used as hair oil and in hair care products in addition to cosmetic products.
Side-effects of Tamanu Oil
- People with sensitive skin should use Tamanu oil only after doing a patch test on the face and hair because people with more sensitive skin may have allergies to this oil.
- Stop using this oil if you experience itching, redness, irritation, or other adverse effects while using Tamanu oil.
- Do not consume tamanu oil. It is meant only for external use.
- Use Tamanu oil carefully around the eyes and avoid contact with the eyes.