Ulcerative colitis- Causes, Symptoms and Home remedies
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that mainly happens due to changes in routine and eating habits. This disease causes complaints of inflammation and irritation in the large intestine due to which there are ulcers in the colon and rectum of the large intestine. Ulcer in the large intestine is the cause of unbearable pain in the stomach. The symptoms of which develop gradually. If not treated on time, these blisters turn into wounds that can prove to be very dangerous after some time. At the same time, if it remains for a long time, then it can also become the cause of intestinal cancer. Therefore, as soon as this problem is detected, it is very important to start its treatment immediately.
Inflammation in the intestines is medically called ulcerative colitis. It can cause ulcers if left in the digestive system for a long time. Inflammation of the large intestine usually affects the inner part of the rectum. This problem can also cause internal bleeding and infection.
Types of Ulcerative colitis
There are several types of ulcerative colitis but according to the doctor, ulcerative colitis is divided on the basis of the places in the body which are as follows:
This type of ulcerative colitis is common. In this type, the swelling is limited to around the rectum and bleeding from the anus is the only sign of the disease.
In this type of ulcerative, there is inflammation in the rectum and sigmoid colon (lower side of the abdomen). Symptoms include bleeding diarrhoea, abdominal pain, cramping and difficulty in defecating.
Left side colitis-
In this type of ulcerative colitis, the inflammation extends from the sigmoid colon, the bottom of the large intestine to the anus. In this, there are problems like pain in the left side of the abdomen, cramps and difficulty while defecating.
Pancolitis usually affects the sigmoid colon which causes severe bloody diarrhoea due to which complex problems like abdominal cramps, pain, fatigue, weakness and weight loss arise.
Symptoms of Ulcerative colitis
- Diarrhoea with blood or pus.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Pain in the stomach and this pain intensify on an empty stomach.
- Burning in the stomach and the burning sensation worsens at night.
- Deterioration of the digestive system.
- Anal pain.
- Frequent urge to defecate.
- Feeling of inability to defecate despite the desire.
- Heartburn problem arising.
- Loss of appetite.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Feeling tired and weak.
- Sudden rapid heart rate.
- Inhibition of physical development of children.
Causes of Ulcerative colitis
According to the doctor, the exact cause of inflammation in the intestine is not clear. However, diet and depression are believed to be the main reasons. A variety of these factors can also cause inflammation or ulcers in the large intestine. These reasons include-
- Impairment of immunity, a situation in which the bacteria attack rapidly. In this way, a bacterial infection is the main cause of ulcers. It is caused by contaminated food and water.
- Being under more stress and depression.
- Consuming excessive amounts of alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Taking painkillers for a long time.
- Taking isotretinoin anti-acne drugs.
- Consuming more food containing oily and chilli spices.
- Genetic reason.
- Suffering from liver, lung and kidney-related problems.
Precautions for Ulcerative colitis
- Eat a balanced diet which includes a good amount of fibre, fruits and green vegetables.
- Drink plenty of fluids and water.
- Pay special attention to hand hygiene before eating.
- Avoid consumption of tea, coffee, smoking etc.
- Stay away from alcohol consumption.
- Avoid consumption of fried and junk food.
- Chew the food well while eating.
- Don't stay hungry for long.
- Have food on time.
- Eat small meals five to six times a day instead of two to three times.
- Do yoga and exercise regularly every day. By doing this, the digestive system of the body works smoothly.
Home remedies for Ulcerative colitis
Rice water is effective in treating ulcerative colitis as it controls the pH level of the intestine. It also reduces irritation in the oesophagus. Apart from this, the vitamins and minerals present in it also fulfil the deficiency of nutrients in the body.
Flaxseeds are great for the treatment of ulcerative colitis because the element found in them works to relieve ulcerative colitis. Apart from this, the fatty acids and antioxidants present in flaxseed reduce infection and help in flushing out impurities from the body.
To treat intestinal inflammation, eat probiotic-rich foods such as wheat, sweet potatoes, pickles, cabbage and paneer.
Curd is an excellent source of probiotics. Therefore, eating curd is very beneficial in case of ulcers and inflammation.
Consume gooseberry jam if you have ulcerative colitis. Amla murabba helps in the quick recovery of intestinal inflammation.
Carrots are considered good for getting relief from ulcerative colitis because it is rich in fibre which enhances immunity. Apart from this, anti-inflammatory properties are found in it which provides relief from pain and burning in colitis. For this, carrot juice must be consumed once a day.
Consuming raw bananas is also helpful in preventing ulcerative colitis due to the presence of an element called pectin which reaches the intestine and regulates the pH level and prevents diarrhoea or loose motion. Apart from this, peel and mash the green banana and mix it well with buttermilk. Now consume this mixture. Doing so helps in the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
Consumption of papaya proves to be effective in the treatment of many problems related to diarrhoea and stomach. The proteolytic enzymes like papain and chymopapain are found in papaya. These enzymes are enriched with antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Its antibacterial property plays an important role in preventing ulcerative colitis.