Unheard Benefits of Spikenard (Jatamansi)
Spikenard, famously known as Jatamansi is a small, aromatic herb found in the Himalayan region which grows in the snow on the mountains. It is called spikenard because there are fibers like hair in its roots. Its plant is 10-60 cm high, erect, perennial and herbaceous. The upper part of its stem is hairy and half is hairless. Many branches emerge from the roots of Jatamansi above the ground which are dense, fine, hairy and hairy up to 6-7 fingers. Jatamansi leaves are also used in herbal and traditional medicine. It is used as an essential oil because of its deodorant, sedative, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. spikenard is a medicinal herb that is also used to make perfume and medicine with a pungent odour.
Spikenard is an endangered Ayurvedic medicinal herb which is being used since ancient times for many medicinal purposes. The root of Jatamansi is its main medicinal part. It is known for its ability to reduce stress, improve cognitive function and sleep. Research on it suggests that Jatamansi is used to improve memory, treat inflammation and insomnia. The benefits of spikenard are many. In Ayurveda, it is used for epilepsy, convulsions and hysteria. It is available in the market in the form of root, oil and powder. There are mainly 4 types of spikenard namely American spikenard, Indian spikenard, Japanese spikenard and Himalayan spikenard.
Benefits of spikenard
Spikenard removes mental exhaustion-
spikenard reduces mental exhaustion and acts as a muscle tonic. According to Ayurveda, it stimulates healthy nerve functions and nourishes the brain. Consuming spikenard with Ashwagandha is an effective remedy for stress associated with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). The stress-reducing and antioxidant activities of these herbs also help reduce the oxidative stress caused by CFS.
Spikenard prevents insomnia-
Taking one teaspoon powder of spikenard root with fresh water one hour before sleeping is beneficial in insomnia. It works by improving the quality of sleep and removing insomnia.
Jatamasi powder is effective in headaches-
According to Ayurveda, spikenard is an effective solution for earaches that accompany headaches and excruciating pain around the eyes. Apart from this, to get rid of headaches due to stress and fatigue, grinding spikenard, Tagar, Deodaru, dry ginger, kuth etc. in equal quantity and applying it on the head is beneficial.
The use of roots of spikenard makes the brain sharp-
Spikenard is a panacea for the brain. It works slowly but effectively. Spikenard works by improving memory and reducing forgetfulness. Apart from this, it is a perfect medicine to sharpen memory. Hence, it acts as a memory agent in people with memory loss. Mixing a spoonful of Jatamansi powder in a cup of milk and drinking it makes the brain sharp.
The properties of spikenard help to remove anxiety-
spikenard has anti-anxiety properties. It reduces the feeling of restlessness and nervousness. It is used to control anxiety, tremors, difficulty sleeping due to anxiety, etc. and to treat anxiety disorders. It is also an effective remedy for controlling tremors in anxiety disorders.
Use of spikenard to improve the skin-
Spikenard is used to improve the complexion of the skin. For this, grind the root of the spikenard in rose water and apply it as a paste on the face. Due to this, the face starts glowing within a few days.
Other benefits of spikenard-
- Massaging with a fine powder of spikenard reduces the problem of excessive sweating.
- Putting a piece of spikenard in the mouth and sucking it reduces burning and pain in the mouth.
- Mixing spikenard churna with Vacha churna and black salt, taking thrice a day provides relief from diseases like hysteria, epilepsy, insanity.
- If a person is troubled by toothache, then make a powder of the root of the spikenard and brush with it. Along with this, problems like gum pain, swelling, blood from teeth and bad breath from the mouth are also removed.
- Grinding spikenard and applying it as a paste on the eyes ends the problem of fainting.
- spikenard is also used to reduce the excretion of glucose (sugar) from urine.
Side effects of Spikenard
- Excessive use or consumption of spikenard can cause kidney damage or stomach pain.
- Its excessive use during menstruation can cause problems.
- It should not be used during pregnancy and lactation.
- Avoid using spikenard excessively. Otherwise, it can cause diseases like vomiting and diarrhoea.
- If you have sensitive skin, be sure to consult your doctor before using spikenard otherwise, there may be a risk of allergies.
- People with high blood pressure should use it after consulting a doctor.