What is Anal Fistula? Know its Causes, Symptoms and Home remedies
Types of Anal Fistula
Simple or complex-
Having one or more fistulas is classified as a common or complex fistula.
Low or High-
It is classified more or less depending on the location of the fissure and its proximity to the sphincter muscles (two ring-like muscles that open and close the anus).
Symptoms of Anal Fistula
- Frequent boils in the anus.
- Pain and swelling around the anus.
- Pain in passing stool.
- Having bleeding.
- Smelly and bloody pus coming out of a hole near the anus (the pain may subside after the pus is drained).
- Burning of the skin around the anus due to frequent pus discharge.
- Fever, body chills and feeling tired.
- Constipation etc.
Causes of Anal Fistula
- Most fissures occur after an abscess in the anus. This can happen when the pus from the boil does not heal after it is released. It is estimated that every two to four people who have an abscess in the anus develop a fistula problem.
- Crohn's disease (a type of long-lasting disease in which the digestive system becomes inflamed).
- Diverticulitis: In this, the sacs in the lining of the large intestine become inflamed.
- Abscesses and scarring of the skin around the anus.
- Being infected with TB or HIV.
- Complications of any surgery near the anus.
Home Remedies for Anal Fistula
Constipation occurs in the fistula. Foods containing fibre should be consumed to cure constipation. During fissure disease, non-vegetarian food should be avoided while fruits, vegetables and whole grains etc. should be consumed more.
In the case of fistula, compressing the anus with lukewarm water is beneficial. The compress provides relief during a fistula. For this, put betadine in hot water and compress the affected area.
Neem leaves are a panacea for the removal of fissures. These leaves are used in many ways. Boiling neem leaves and washing the fissures with that water helps to provide relief. Making a paste of boiled neem leaves and applying it to the fistula is also beneficial. The paste of neem and ghee in the anal fistula also proves to be very effective.
Pomegranate is a fruit which along with increasing the amount of blood in the body works to protect against many diseases. Its leaves also have many healing properties. Therefore, after boiling pomegranate leaves in water, washing the fistula affected area with that water gives great benefit.
The use of Lajwanti and black pepper gives relief in the fistula. Making a paste by grinding black pepper and Lajwanti and then applying that paste to the fistula area helps to provide relief.
Garlic has powerful antioxidant properties and is known for its taste, anti-biotic properties and health benefits. Therefore, it is eaten by putting in food items or even raw. Garlic is the best medicine to eliminate bacteria. Therefore, garlic should be first ground and roasted in ghee and then it should be applied in the place of a fissure.