What is Shallaki Health benefits, Uses and Side effects
Shallaki is one of the ancient herbs in Ayurveda and is referred to as a tropical plant of the genus Burseraceae. It is also known as Boswellia serrata. It is a medium-sized flowering plant, both a tree and a shrub. This plant produces an aromatic resin and is used to make frankincense. Shallaki is widely used in traditional medicine and is an important part of Ayurvedic medicine.
Nutritional values in Shallaki
Shallaki is rich in phytochemicals and alkaloids. Beta boswellic acid is the main compound in it. It also contains other pentacyclic triterpene acids. These phytochemicals give Boswellia its health benefits, especially in treating medical conditions.
Importance of Shallaki in Ayurveda
Shallaki reduces pain (especially joint pain) due to its Vata balancing properties. According to Ayurveda, all kinds of pain caused by aggravated Vata, can be cured using this herb. Shallaki helps to calm Vata and reduces pain associated with swelling.
Health Benefits of Shallaki
- Prevents osteoarthritis-Shallaki has strong anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents joint swelling and protects from cartilage breakdown, making it an effective remedy for osteoarthritis.
- Effective for rheumatoid arthritis-Shallaki is said to produce an autoimmune response in the body. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, shallaki makes an effective treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Promotes natural healing-Shallaki increases the body's ability to naturally heal external wounds and bruises, as well as internal wounds such as bleeding.
- Prevents inflammatory bowel disease-Anti-inflammatory properties of shallaki make it effective against various inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
- Useful in asthma-Shallaki reduces leukotrienes, which causes bronchial muscle contraction, thereby reducing the severity and occurrence of asthma and other inflammatory bronchial diseases. It is also effective in reducing cough symptoms.
- Treats cancer-Shallaki may be able to fight advanced breast cancer cells and limit the spread of malignant leukemia. It is also considered effective against pancreatic cancer cells.
- Acts as an aphrodisiac-Shallaki can be used as a powerful aphrodisiac to increase sensual pleasure in sexual activity.
- Cures female reproductive health-Shallaki promotes normal and smooth menstruation, removes congestion in the uterus and increases blood flow to the reproductive organs.
Uses of Shallaki
Shallaki extract is widely used as traditional medicine in tropical countries of India and Africa. Today, it is used by various pharmaceutical companies to produce alternative medicines in the form of pills, capsules, etc. Shallaki extract was also traditionally used to make frankincense, and is widely used till today.
Side effects of Shallaki
Shallaki have some adverse side effects on your health. It stimulates blood flow to the uterus and pelvis, so improper use can disrupt the menstrual cycle and even cause miscarriage in pregnant women.
Where is it found?
This plant grows in hilly areas of India, the Middle East and North Africa. In India, it is found in the dry hill forests of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Orissa, Assam, Andhra Pradesh and the central peninsula of Assam.