Why is Tulsi, the Queen of Green Medicine
We have all grown up watching our elders worshipping the holy basil. It is considered the manifestation of Goddess Lakshmi in the Hindu tradition. Apart from the religious significance, the plant is also filled with immense healing capacity and there are many benefits of tulsi. It is a prime herb, used as ayurvedic and folk medicine.
Tulsi plant is a small, short-lived perennial shrub. It is native to the Indian subcontinent. Tulsi grows throughout Southeast Asia. It is approximately about 3.3 feet high. The plant bear entire leaves oppositely along the stem. The leaves are green or purple, depending on the variety. It also gives off a pleasant fragrance.
Importance of Tulsi in Ayurveda
Ayurveda considers tulsi as the queen of green medicines. Its use ranges from treating regular illnesses like fever, cough, and cold to serious health conditions like tuberculosis, dengue, asthma, and tumors. Various experimental studies identify the plant to be a highly promising immune-modulator, cyto-protective, and also an anti-cancer agent.
Benefits of Tulsi
Tulsi is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, phytonutrients, and enzyme-inhibiting oils, including eugenol, citronellol, and linalool. It has antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-carcinogenic properties. These make it a useful plant. The benefits of Tulsi are:-
Tulsi Tea for Weight loss-
- Tulsi tea helps your body in the absorption of essential nutrients.
- Tea made of tulsi leaves also helps in boosting your digestive system. It helps in losing weight.
- It contains zero calories that boost your stamina.
- The warm water in the tea helps to soothe the digestive system. It also boosts metabolism which is essential for weight loss.
- The addition of lemon juice to tulsi tea adds antioxidants which help to reduce inflammation.
Tulsi for regulating Cholesterol and Diabetes-
- Tulsi leaves help in reducing cholesterol levels in the body. It also reduces the chances of cardiac diseases.
- Leaves of tulsi are a great and beneficial tonic for the heart. It improves blood circulation.
- Tulsi is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants such as eugenol. It protects the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals.
Tulsi Drops for Boosting Immunity-
- Tulsi drops contains powerful herbs and nutrients. It contains extracts of Rama Tulsi, Shyam Tulsi, Shwet Tulsi, Van tulsi, Nimbu Tulsi. It is a rich source of many vitamins and nutrients.
- These herbs are a rich source of antioxidants fighting free radicals. These protect the body cells.
- Regular intake of Tulsi drops provides relief against diseases like diabetes, BP, pyorrhea, etc.
- It works to sharpen the mind.
- It also cleans the impurities of the blood.
- Tulsi drops also improve the respiratory system.
Tulsi Water for detoxification-
- Taking tulsi water boosts the immune system due to its anti-bacterial properties.
- Tulsi water maintains the pH balance in the stomach. This helps to ease acidity.
- The antioxidants in tulsi also helps in the detoxification of the body.
- Take tulsi water early in the morning on an empty stomach. It is the most effective way.
Tulsi for Skin Care-
- Tulsi contains essential oils such as eugenol, citronellol. These remove dirt and impurities that block pores . It also cleanses the skin from within.
- Apply paste (lep) made of Tulsi leaves. It prevents the formation of acne due to the strong anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of Tulsi.
- Tulsi is a great healer and also cures many diseases and ailments.
- Juice made of Tulsi leaves helps in treating ringworm, and itching.
- It also helps in treating skin disorders.
- Mixing Tulsi and Aloe Vera juice are beneficial for treating skin problems.
- Leucoderma is also treated using this beneficial herb.
- Tulsi keeps your skin glow intact. It prevents premature aging and also removes the skin impurities and keeps it healthy.
Tulsi for relieving Stress-
- The essential oils of Tulsi may help manage depression and anxiety. The plant acts as an adaptogen.
- The natural substances of the plant help your body in promoting mental balance. It also enhances your capacity to adapt to stress.
- The herb regulate the hormones which are also responsible for boosting your energy and happiness.
- Chewing 10-12 fresh leaves of Tulsi helps in controlling stress. It also manages anxiety by providing relaxation to the nerves.
- Tulsi has anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties which reduce sexual problems and sleep problems.
- It also cures problems such as forgetfulness, and exhaustion.
Tulsi for treating various Ailments-
- Fresh flowers of Tulsi provides relief in bronchitis.
- Intake of the leaves and seeds along with black pepper helps in the treatment of malaria.
- Various conditions such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting can be relieved with the help of whole plant of tulsi.
- Leaves of tulsi are also used to treat insect bites.