Know the Methods, Benefits and Precautions for Foot Massage Therapy (Padabhyanga)
Padabhyanga therapy is a miraculous method in which many diseases of the body are treated through a foot massage. Feet have a lot of importance in Ayurveda and these are considered an important part of the body because the endpoint of all the nerves in our body is in our feet. Massaging the feet means massaging the nerves which strengthen the nerves as well as makes other parts of the body healthy. Doing this daily provides many health benefits.
In Ayurveda, 'Padabhyanga' is called the mother of all alternative treatments because it has the power to cure dosha-imbalance. According to this, complete health benefits can be found only by a foot massage. Padabhyanga therapy cures roughness of the feet, dryness, laxity, tiredness, numbness, cracking of the feet, narrowing of the blood vessels, sciatica and many gout diseases. Along with this, the eyesight also gets sharper through foot massage therapy.
When to do Foot Massage?
It is beneficial to practice it every day. It can be done in the morning before bath or at any leisure time but the time before going to bed at night is considered the best time for padabhyanga because at this time the body is tired from the work of the whole day. Therefore, if padabhyanga is done before sleeping at night, then along with getting good sleep, the fatigue of the day is also removed.
Ayurvedic reference for Padabhyanga
Padabhyanga has a deep connection with Ayurveda. It is one of the oldest techniques of treatment. In Charak Samhita, Acharya Charak in Sutra sthana chapter no. 5 shlok 90 to 92 has very proficiently described the process and importance of padabhyanga. It states that the roots of all the veins are connected to the feet. As an example, if we crush bitter gourd and keep it in the soles of the shoes while walking, a bitter taste appears in the mouth. This happens because feet are the roots of the body, therefore applying anything on the feet helps in the treatment of several diseases and conditions even if the ingredient is applied externally.
Method of Foot Massage
For abstinence, first of all, lay a plastic sheet under the patient's feet and make him lie down straight. After this, choose the oil according to the nature of his body. Sesame oil is suitable for the patient of Vata nature, coconut, sunflower or sandalwood oil for the patient of Kapha nature and mustard oil for Pitta nature. Now heat the oil lightly and apply it on the feet and massage the feet, ankles, joints and soles by pressing them well with light hands. Massage can be done for at least 20 minutes. Do this for the first 10 minutes on your hands, then for 10 minutes, rub the soles with the bottom of the bowl. Apart from oil, ghee can also be used for padabhyanga.
Benefits of Padabhyanga
- Padabhyanga fills the cracks of cracked heels and makes them smooth.
- It is helpful in relieving fatigue.
- This increases eyesight.
- It removes the problem of numbness in the hands and feet.
- This makes the skin glow.
- It is helpful in protecting against mental illnesses.
- Padabhyanga improves the problem of sleeplessness.
- Diseases such as stress, anxiety, headache, hypertension can be avoided by the practice of padabhyanga.
- Padabhyanga increases blood circulation.
- Improves joint pain and muscle stiffness.
- Padabhyanga is helpful in removing depression or mental/physical imbalance.
- It is helpful in hearing ability and eyesight.
- It gives relief to sciatica pain.
When should one not perform Padabhyanga?
Padaabhyanga should not be done in some special conditions related to health such as cold, fever, blood infection, indigestion, stomach disease or skin disorder.
Follow these precautions while doing Padabhyanga
- Padabhyang should always be done only after 1-2 hours of eating.
- Do this before taking a bath.
- Do not perform padabhyanga if you feel excessively hungry or thirsty.
- Take a bath only after 20 minutes of doing padabhyanga.
- After padabhyanga, take a bath with lukewarm water only.
How does the Diaba Free Lotion work on this technique?
Diaba free Lotion formulated for the treatment of Diabetes works on the padabhyanga technique as it consists of ayurvedic ingredients that work on multiple levels. It activates the veins and regulates blood circulation through massage and the ayurvedic ingredients get to action by controlling the level of sugar in the blood.