Leg pain: Types, Causes, Symptoms and Home remedies
Our legs help the body bear the weight of the whole body. Carrying out daily activities such as working while standing for long hours causes leg pain. Sometimes this pain increases so much that it is very difficult to bear. Usually, the main cause of leg pain is muscle fatigue. Due to the lack of nutrients in the body, the problem of foot pain begins.
Leg pain means that there is tension, pressure and numbness in the leg muscles that makes it difficult for a person to move.
Types of leg pain
Leg pain due to any damage related to the nervous system is known as neurological pain. In addition, leg pain is caused by damage to the sciatic nerve (the longest nerve in the body that runs through the spine to the legs) and other nerves.
Vascular pain is a type of pain caused by deep vein thrombosis (DVT-blood clots in veins) and peripheral artery disease (blockage of blood flow due to varicose veins). Leg pain due to arterial problems is also of this type.
Musculoskeletal pain is a type of pain caused by problems related to the muscles, joints, bones and ligaments (tissues that connect two bones).
The following conditions arise in musculoskeletal pain;
- Stiffness of muscles due to excessive pressure or tension.
- Muscles swelling due to deep injury.
- Problems related to joint pain.
- Bone fractures or bone diseases such as osteoporosis (fragility of bones).
Causes of Leg pain
- Due to shin splints (overuse of the outer part of the lower leg bone).
- The hairline fracture in the bone.
- Taking diuretics or cholesterol-lowering drugs.
- Muscle damage caused by injury.
- Deficiency of calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium in the blood.
- Having dehydration
- Due to muscle fatigue or tension due to excessive exercise or sitting in one place.
Other causes of Leg pain
- Inflammation in the joints caused by arthritis
- Cellulitis (infection of the skin and soft tissues)
- Peripheral artery disease (a disorder related to blood flow to the legs)
- Blood clotting due to prolonged bed rest
- Due to varicose veins ( enlarged veins)
- Osteomyelitis (infection of the bones)
- Due to nerve damage (common in diabetics and those who use alcohol and cigarettes)
Symptoms of Legpain
- Pain while walking, standing, moving and at rest
- Prickling in the affected area
- Swelling of feet
- Muscle cramps
- Burning sensation in the affected area
- Stiffness in the body
- Discomfort and pain in moving the legs
- Difficulty sitting in the toilet
- Stinging feeling in the affected area
Home remedies for Leg pain
Rock salt works by regulating nerve signals and relaxing muscles. To do this, take warm water in a bucket and add one to two teaspoons of rock salt. Now keep the legs in this water for some time. By doing this you will get relief in leg pain.
Leg pain starts when the muscles are tense or tired. In such a situation, massaging the leg proves to be a comfortable option which gives instant effect. Mustard oil can be used for massage directly or by cooking oregano and garlic in it.
Turmeric is rich in many medicinal properties. Therefore, mixing one spoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and drinking it in the morning and evening provides relief in leg and knee pain. Apart from this, mixing two spoons of turmeric in sesame oil and applying the prepared paste on the leg for half an hour also provides relief in pain. This also strengthens the bones.
Clove is very beneficial in tooth and gum pain as well as knee and leg pain. For this, massage the leg lightly with clove powder or clove oil on the painful area.
The use of fenugreek seeds is effective for the pain of knees and legs. It is analgesic and anti-inflammatory in nature. Therefore, after eating half to one spoonful of fenugreek powder in the morning and evening, it provides relief in the pain of knees and feet.
Eucalyptus oil helps in reducing neuralgia. Smelling this oil or mixing it with any other oil provides relief in leg pain.
Leg pain can also be relieved by the use of ice. To use, take 2-3 pieces of ice in a cloth. Now massaging the legs with this bundle gives relief in pain.
According to research conducted by NCBI, breathing exercises help in getting rid of pain in hands, legs and nerves.
When to go to the doctor?
According to experts, use home remedies for pain in legs and knees. But if the problem and pain persists and there is no proper benefit from them, go to the doctor without any delay. Apart from this, if the pain is due to fracture or if the pain is accompanied by swelling, redness, warmth, fever and weight loss, then see an orthopedic doctor immediately.