What is Konasana? Know its types and health benefits
Konasana is a type of yoga considered immensely beneficial for the body. "Konasana" is composed of two words- “kona”, which means corner, and the second asana, which means posture, which means while practicing this yoga, the shape of the body becomes an angle-like posture. In this posture, the body has to be balanced and stand in the shape of an angle. This asana is known as Angle Pose. It has many physical and mental health benefits, ranging from feet to hands and many other parts of the body.
Types and method of doing Konasana
Although Konasana is done in many ways, this posture mentioned in Yogashastra is usually done in two ways. Let us know about the types and methods of these asanas-
- First of all, stand straight on the yoga mat.
- Make sure that the distance between both the legs is parallel to the hip and keep the hands by the side of the body.
- Now breathing slowly, raise your left hand in such a way that the fingers remain in the direction of the ceiling.
- After that, while exhaling slowly, bend to your right side.
- While bending to the left, bend a little more. Note that the left hand should remain vertically upwards.
- Now lift your head up and look at your left hand. Do not bend the elbows.
- Now take a long breath and release it.
- While breathing, bring your body back to its original position.
- After that, while exhaling slowly, bring the left hand down.
- Stand on a yoga mat while spreading both your legs.
- Stand so that there is a gap of 2 feet between the feet and the body should remain in a balanced posture.
- Now while breathing slowly, spread both your hands and stretch them above your head.
- After that, join the fingers of the palm in such a way that the hands come into a dome state. Make sure your hands touch the ear.
- Now while exhaling slowly, bend to the right side. Do not bend the hands at the elbows.
- After that, while taking your body to the left, bend a little more so that the body remains stretched. In this position, take a deep breath and exhale slowly.
- Come back to your initial position while breathing again.
- While exhaling slowly, bring the left hand down.
- Now repeat this process from the left side.
- Do this cycle of Konasana at least 4-5 times.
Health benefits of Konasana
You get many health benefits by doing this asana, but some important benefits are as follows-
- By doing this asana, the spine, thighs, and arms get strengthened.
- It helps to make the spine flexible.
- It helps in relieving back pain.
- This asana improves the functioning of the lungs.
- This mudra is extremely beneficial for improving blood circulation.
- Continuously practicing it proves to be very effective for sciatica.
- It is helpful in relieving constipation or other digestive problems.
- This yoga practice purifies the blood.
- This yoga helps to provide energy to the body.
Take these precautions while doing Konasana
- Practice konasana slowly, so that the body does not get jerked.
- Do not put too much pressure on any part of the body during yoga.
- If someone is suffering from acute back pain and problems like spondylitis, then he should not practice this posture.
- Avoid doing this asana if you have a fever, nervousness, abdominal pain, or any other physical problem.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.