Air and water are among the basic elements of life on earth. Life exists on earth due to both of them. The human body is made up of the five elements of earth, sky, air, water, and fire. Among these, the air is considered the second fundamental element. Just as water is life, the air is the soul of living creatures. If we do not breathe for a few seconds, we often feel suffocated.
Therefore, air is a vital element for human beings to live. Air therapy helps human beings to treat all the diseases of the body through air intake.
Procedure of Air therapy
The maximum benefit of air therapy can be availed through an air bath. It is believed that clean and fresh air is very important for good health. Therefore, every person should take an air bath for 30 minutes or more daily. In the process of air therapy, a person should wear light clothing and walk in a secluded place where sufficient fresh air is available. This makes the blood flow faster. This therapy helps to overcome arthritis, skin disorders, nervousness, mental and other disorders.
Techniques of Air therapy
- Air Bath
Air Bath is also known as Morning Walk or Air intake. In the common language, it is also called air eating or walking. Feeding fresh air to the body is called an Air Bath. It is an action through which both internal and external parts of the body are cleaned. If this activity is carried out by removing clothes or wearing light clothes, it proves to be beneficial for the body.
Breathing is very important for the pores of the skin too. The pores also breathe through the air. Wearing tight clothes all the time makes the body pale as the skin pores are closed due to fit clothes. These result in diseases like constipation, chest pain, gas, and diabetes.
Consuming air in this form is not only a necessity of life but also an art that is the best exercise in the world.
Breathing is the direct source of getting air inside the body. The way it is done is an art that is a part of Air therapy. Different ways of breathing are-
- Diaphragmatic Breathing- In this, the diaphragm muscle is designed to reduce the space in the abdominal cavity each time we intake the air. The stomach expands when we intake and that is why this is sometimes referred to as “belly breath”.
- Thoracic Breathing- If the diaphragm doesn’t subside on inhaling, the chest must expand to take the air that has been sniffed into the lungs. This is the ideal way of practicing ashtanga yoga. However, it is quite unusual to make it a default breathing pattern.
- Clavicular Breathing- Most people are not aware of the actual space taken by the lungs in the body. The upper part of each lung is above the collarbone. This type of breathing is the one in which the upper part of the lungs is filled with air. The clavicles are lifted when air is inhaled.
- Paradoxical Breathing- This is a strange form of breathing, where the chest compresses on the air intake rather than expanding and vice versa. This is the natural mode of breathing widely practiced by the masses. If not so, one should be aware of their breathing patterns.
Benefits of Air therapy
Air therapy provides numerous benefits that help in multiple processes. Here are some benefits of Air therapy:
As air therapy is directly linked with breathing, it assists respiration by strengthening the respiratory system.
Since all the exercises associated with Air therapy are connected with lungs and breathing exercises. Therefore, fresh air not only helps the lungs but skin as well. It facilitates oxygen intake and throws out carbon dioxide. It boosts the process of respiration and makes it more efficient.
Air therapy helps in boosting the blood circulation in the body. It increases the flow of oxygen in the blood. This further helps in the better functioning of the body. The more the skin takes in the fresh air the better the body gets support in working properly.
Releases Body toxins-
Air therapy helps in releasing harmful toxins and waste material from the body. With the help of Air therapy, the toxins are shredded from the body in the form of sweating which makes skin as well as the body, healthier.
Air therapy heals the body in multiple ways by releasing toxins from the body. In this process, the clogged pores are opened and they release waste from it. This promotes glowing and healthy skin.
Fresh air is the best remedy for switching moods. Inhaling some fresh air takes up the stress and provides freshness to the body and mind. It allows mental peace. Hence, people look for a vacation to the hills for this purpose.
Air therapy makes a person feel light and attains a state of calmness which further uplifts his/her mood.
- People with problems such as high Blood pressure, hyperacidity, gastric ulcers & hernia should avoid these exercises.
- Women in pregnancy should also avoid air therapy.
- People who have recently had surgery should avoid breathing exercises for at least 6 months.