Like cold and fever, diarrhoea is also a type of seasonal disorder. Most of its outbreaks are seen in the summer and rainy seasons. The main reason for this is dirt. This problem mostly occurs in young children, new born babies and the elderly. Children and elderly people complain of diarrhoea and vomiting leading to physical weakness. Therefore, if it is not treated in time, it can prove to be a serious problem.
Diarrhoea is a disease related to the digestive system in which the patient starts having loose motions. Usually, diarrhoea lasts for two to three days. In some cases, patients recover quickly but in other cases, the patient is not able to recover quickly. Diarrhoea is mainly caused by bacterial infection. It can also be caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. Apart from this, diarrhoea is also caused by infection with micro-organisms, certain drugs and other diseases.
Types of Diarrhoea
There are mainly four types of diarrhoea which are the following-
This is a common form of diarrhoea that can last for several hours or a few days in which there are very loose and watery stools. Usually, diarrhoea can be treated at home. For this, the patient should drink enough fluids. By doing this the problem automatically gets reduced.
This type of diarrhoea can last for at least two weeks.
Acute Bloody diarrhoea-
People suffering from this also have watery diarrhoea along with blood. It is also called dysentery.
This type of diarrhoea can bother a person for two to four weeks.
Symptoms of Diarrhoea
Well, there are many symptoms of diarrhoea, but depending on their cause, one or more of these symptoms can be seen. Let us know about these symptoms-
- Loose motion means loose stools.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Lack of water (dehydration) in the body.
- Blood in stool.
If the following symptoms appear in babies, do not ignore them, rather contact the doctors immediately-
- Vomiting with frequent diarrhoea.
- Less urination.
- Frequent dry mouth.
- To be nauseous.
- Having a fever.
- Blood or pus in the stool.
- Black stool.
- To be irritable.
- Feeling lethargic.
- Getting more sleep.
- Sunken eyes etc.
Causes of Diarrhoea
Contaminated food or water-
The main cause of diarrhoea is the ingestion of contaminated food and water through which harmful bacteria called Salmonella or Escherichia enter the body. These harmful bacteria cause gastro-enteritis due to which diarrhoea, constipation and many stomach related problems start arising. Apart from this, in young children, it can also be caused by bacteria (norovirus or rotavirus) and parasites (Giardia intestinalis).
Many times the problem of diarrhoea starts due to infection in the intestines. This problem occurring in the intestines is called gastroenteritis. This disease occurs due to reasons like viruses, bacteria, food poisoning.
Some people have difficulty in passing stools due to stomach ulcers. Sometimes, these ulcers also become the cause of diarrhoea.
Inflammatory Bowel Disease-
Inflammatory bowel disease occurs when there is chronic inflammation in the digestive tract due to which there may be a problem of diarrhoea. Sometimes, due to these problems, pus or mucus is also visible in the stool.
Other causes of diarrhoea
- On the spread of infection in the stomach.
- In case of viral infection.
- When there is a lack of water in the body (dehydration).
- When the digestive power of the person is weak.
- When the contaminated water enters the stomach while swimming.
- Living in very hot or humid climates.
- When baby teeth erupt.
- On drug reactions.
- On excessive use of aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- On consuming undercooked and raw meats.
Take these Precautions during Diarrhea
- Take special care of cleanliness.
- Make sure to wash hands after using the washroom.
- Use boiled water in the rainy season.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before eating food.
- Store food properly.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
- Get your children vaccinated on time.
- Pay special attention to your diet.
- Reduce intake of tea, coffee, smoking etc.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Avoid consumption of fried and junk food.
Home remedies for Diarrhoea
- The initial phase of diarrhoea can be cured by changing the diet.
- In Ayurveda, it is recommended to drink water from rice and moong dal in case of diarrhoea. It is advised to give lentil water to young children if they have diarrhoea.
- Use nutritious things like green vegetables, pulses, fruit juices etc. in the food.
- Taking honey with lukewarm water provides relief in loose motion i.e. diarrhoea problem.
- You can consume oats, corn flakes, herbal tea etc. with honey.
- Drinking coconut water is a good option in diarrhoea because it has an antioxidant and gastroprotective activity that provides relief in gas and stomach related disorders. It also helps in increasing immunity.
- In Ayurveda, buttermilk acts as a medicine in the treatment of stomach disorders because it has probiotic properties which work to keep the digestive system healthy.
- Consuming turmeric mixed with buttermilk or curd provides relief in loose motion i.e. diarrhoea problems.
- Apple cider vinegar is helpful in preventing diarrhoea or loose motion because it has natural anti-bacterial properties.
- Peppermint oil and mint tea are beneficial in stomach related disorders. It has been used for a long time to treat stomach related problems like diarrhoea, gas, and constipation.
- Consumption of raw bananas also proves effective in preventing diarrhoea as pectin(an element) is found in bananas. Apart from this, taking a raw banana after boiling a little lemon juice and salt in it also works as a medicine.
- Chamomile tea works as a medicine in preventing diarrhoea because it has anti-diarrheal and antispasmodic properties.
When to go to the doctor?
- If Infants and young children have loose motions more than six times in 24 hours.
- On continuous vomiting.
- When there is weakness.
- Consistent weight loss.
- When there is blood in the stool.
- Persistent pain in the stomach.
- On dehydration.
- High fever or dizziness.