What is Pneumococcal disease? Know its Types, Symptoms and Diagnosis
11 August, 2022
Pneumococcal is a type of infection in the body which affects many parts of the body. It is mainly caused by bacteria called Streptococcus pneumoniae, also known as Pneumococcus. It is also caused by infection with pneumococcal microbes, certain drugs, and other diseases. This can lead to many diseases. Pneumonia is also caused by this bacterial infection. It can also be caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites. This causes a cough with mucus or pus, fever, chills, and shortness of breath & is a serious disease.
This disease can take a serious form if the symptoms are not recognized and treatment is not started on time. It is more harmful for infants, young people, people over the age of 70 and people with a weakened immune system.
Types of Pneumococcal disease
There are mainly two types of pneumococcal diseases which have further divisions. These are mentioned below
- Invasive Pneumococcal diseaseThis type of pneumococcal disease is considered a serious infection. In this, infection occurs inside any part of the body or in the blood. It includes many diseases which are as follows
- Septic ArthritisSeptic arthritis is an infection of the joints. This infection mainly reaches the joints through injury or infection in the blood due to which problems like pain, swelling and redness start arising in the joints which affects different joints of the body. It also causes unbearable pain.
- MeningitisThis infection occurs in the membrane covering the brain and spinal cord of a person.
- OsteomyelitisThis is a bone infection which spreads to the blood and its surrounding tissues as well as reaches the bones.
- BacteremiaThis is caused by bacteria present in the blood.
- SepticemiaSepticemia is an infection in the bloodstream, also known as blood poisoning. It usually occurs when bacterial infections in the body enter the blood through the lungs or skin.
Non Invasive Pneumococcal disease
- PneumoniaPneumonia is usually caused by a variety of bacteria. The most common of these is Streptococcus pneumoniae. This usually happens when the body is weak due to minor illness, nutritional deficiency, old age or problems with the body's immunity, etc. In this condition, the bacteria reaches the lungs. Bacterial pneumonia can affect people of all ages.
- Otitis mediaThis is an ear disease. A type of infection, which affects the middle part of the ear. In this condition, due to infection, the central part becomes swollen, due to which the person may have to face unbearable pain.
- SinusitisSinusitis is an infection in the sinuses that comes under the category of a serious problem. The problem of sinusitis occurs due to many reasons like- sinus infection, pollution, allergies, cold and bacterial infection etc.
Symptoms of pneumococcal disease
Some of the common symptoms caused by pneumococcus bacteria are as follows
Flu-like symptoms are felt when you have pneumococcal disease. These symptoms can develop slowly or rapidly.
- Fever with sweating and shivering.
- Suffering from a cough with mucus.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Chest pain.
- Feeling uneasy.
- Loss of appetite.
- Earache or discharge from the ears.
- Feeling delusional.
- Blood coming from the mucus while spitting.
- Redness or rash on the skin.
- Rapid heartbeat.
Under what circumstances can pneumococcal disease occur?
- Children below 2 years of age.
- Children under the age of 5 with pre-existing disease have an increased risk of developing pneumococcal disease.
- Excessive smoking poses a higher risk of getting this disease.
- People suffering from diabetes, cancer, lung cancer, kidney problems or any other chronic disease.
- People with 65 years of age or older.
- Long-term use of steroid medicines.
- People with a weak immune system can also be infected. This often causes pneumonia in people who already have AIDS.
Home remedies for Pneumococcal disease
- Steam inhalationSteam inhalation reduces infection. This also improves the breathing capacity of the patient. Steam reduces cough and also relieves chest tightness.
- Turmeric mixed with mustard oilMix turmeric powder in lukewarm mustard oil and massage the chest with this mixture.
- TurmericTurmeric is also helpful in relieving respiratory disorders. It reduces mucus, therefore, consuming turmeric powder in hot milk daily prevents pneumococcal disease.
- PeppermintPeppermint reduces irritation and mucus. Therefore, make tea using fresh mint leaves and drink it. Mint tea acts as a medicine for pneumonia.